Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Organize - Bands

11 replies [Last post]
Mirza Imam Baig
User offline. Last seen 6 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Experts,

Can some one guide me in P5 how to show the band without the title when a set of activities are not assigned the Activity Code and still need to be shown in the Layout... The way it’s been shown in P3 3.1 earlier without titles on the Band.

Thanks.
Imam Baig

Replies

Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi guys,

Interestingly, if you use the grouping feature of MS Project , it gives you the same thing.

Se
Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 12 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
I have this problem avery time and do what Rollen said.

And that why sometimes i say that i miss P3.

Regards.
Mirza Imam Baig
Rollen,

Hahha! Nice idea.... A dot is better than Betterthan "NO ACTIVTY CODE"....

Thanks
Imam Baig
Rollen Lopez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Imam / James,
If you find previous thing tricky, you may also try this, in your activity codes create a code with a description - (dash) or a . (dot). Assign this code to those activities that does not belong to any of your defined codes.
When you organize, you will see that instead of having this "no activity code" remarks, you will see that - (dash) or .(dot) on your band, Of course this is less irritating compared to "No activity code" bands.

This may be just simple trick but not the real solution. P3e may have some functions to solve this answers to this but so far I haven’t stumbled across one.

Cheers,
James Saldigor
User offline. Last seen 12 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rollen Lopez,

I tried the one you said, and it took me sometime to get it running the way I wanted. Somehow, I got rid of the "No activity code" bands, in fact there was no band at all,but I need to have a clear practice of this so I have a clear understanding with how this thing behaves.

When it comes to layout, I only experience the problem when I open different projects, Individual projects doesn’t seem to carry their own sets of layouts.I prefer 3.1 than this enterprise. I observed there are lots of negative feedbacks for P5 and I can name a few.

Thanks Rollen Lopez.
Rollen Lopez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Planners,
I have experienced the same problems as you had and its not a good layout having these labels which cannot be turned off,but in some of my cases i have created some useful solution, perhaps for my requirement in my quest to eliminate this "no activity bands"

Normally, in P3 3.1 we create activity codes in separate groups, eg. under discipline-Mechanical,Electrical, etc. and for some orientation- east,west, etc.

In P5, try not to create separate activity codes, Instead create it with a heirarchical order the way WBS depicts.
Since this is an activity coding, we have the flexibility to organise, group our activities in a manner activity codes and take note that in the organize dialogue box,you have the check box option to which level you must show which is not available in P3 3.1.
As you may have noticed it in P5, most of the things are in Heirarchy, Project Directories, Resources etc.
It has worked for me at some extent of my requirement at least and I hope you can at least try to make this work for you.
I agree with you guys. This "No activity code" bands in not a pleasant thing to see in your lay-out.
May i ask you, do you have problems with layouts in P5? for me its just not friendly.

Cheers,
Mirza Imam Baig
James,

You are obsolutely correct. I am looking for an Answer to the same Question you described. Is they a way not to display that "No Activity Code" on the band...

Thanks to all.

Imam Baig
Larry Bjorn
User offline. Last seen 11 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Imam/James,

Why someone thought it was a good idea to show No"activity code" on an organisation band is beyond me. It stipulates that the organisation band is blank – well, I can see that by looking at it! Even more irritating is that this “functionality” cannot be turned off. This is acknowledged on Primavera’s on-line help.

Regards,
Larry
James Saldigor
User offline. Last seen 12 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi People,
It looks like that imam is misunderstood. actually i have same problem with him dealing with P5 activity coding, in P3 it was not a problem, the band will just be there but without a name since there is no activity code assigned to it. But in P5 when there is no activity assigned there, that label No"activity code" which of course if you are grouping your activities by discipline, and there are activities that doenst belong to any discipline, P5 displays "No discipline" and you cannot assign common at all times. In our layouts, the bands that p3 shows is just fine but i dont think most people will like it when in P5 will show these automatic remarks,Please any advise on this matter.
Thanks
Brian Cameron
User offline. Last seen 15 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Imam

With the project open select view, then group and sort or click on the group and sort button.
select/highlight the level you want to show only titles at and no other information tick the box for show name and hide if empty, you may also want to select show grand totals.

Now all levels not used in you activity list will not be shown.

Hope this helps.

Brian.
Ashish Kelkar
User offline. Last seen 15 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
hi imam

u can show it in the layout. only thing is these activities will be shown at the bottom of the entire activity based on ur sort criteria