Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How the percentage of completion is calculated?

4 replies [Last post]
Juan Quintero
User offline. Last seen 18 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi All,
I have an issue here.
I’m working in some houses schedule; I create the schedule with estimated durations, and also the lump sum amounts that each activity carries.
The duration of one of the houses is 90 days, and I’m doing the update at day 60. All the activities are on track (with very little differences in the duration), the amount spent up to date according to the resource loading is 58%.
My problem here is that the schedule summary bar shows only 53%.
Is any other factor that primavera need to calculate a percentage of completion accurate?

Thanks
Juan

Replies

Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Juan,

Please note that you can alter the way % earned (i.e. performance % complete) is calculated per WBS element.

Furthermore the activity % complete calculation is driven by the activity % complete type (duration, units, and physical), so there a quite a few combinations to choose from.

The mechanism provides a lot of flexibility but it takes some time to understand how it works.

H.T.H.
Juan Quintero
User offline. Last seen 18 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Guys,

I think the issue here was the terminology, actually we were expecting to see the %of progress, and %earned.
Primavera Calculates the % of Completions as (Sum OD-Sum RD)/Sum OD, my project was loaded down at the finishing with more detail that at the beginning, that was the reason why my percentages were coming out real low.

Ravi Potwar
User offline. Last seen 3 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Friends,
% Completion of projects calculation is depends upon the Factors 1) Cost 2) Resources and 3) allocated Duration.
Decide with the consultants on which factor they have to monitor the % completion and Load the factor as the resources . and exports the BQ and give the weitages to activity and % .As the activity progress earned % and total % can be calculated.
Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Juan,

What % complete are you using?

There are quite a few in P3e and not all of then add up. (Duration % complete for instance)

Hope this helps,

Niek.