Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera V4.1 - Show % in Total

10 replies [Last post]
Brian Cameron
User offline. Last seen 15 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Is it possible to show the overall % complete at the top of a project?

Similar to the way that MS Project rolls up the percentages from the various levels.

I have the "Show Grand Totals" ticked in "Group and Sort" which shows all the essential information with the exception of an overall percentage for the project.

Any ideas?

Regards

Brian.

Replies

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hazel

The answer is yes and no

Yes - P3e do have CDI (what they call now is user define field
Yes it can calculate base on a activities level where the basic calculation is allow (No global change needed) (ONLY in Version 5)

No you cannot just adding the % together. because each summary level is different. As a result, it cannot work out CPI SPI at a summary by using CDI/UDF

Therefore, the two options are
1 use the standard EV calculated function in P3e
2 use the UDF and export to excel to calculate EV

HTH

Alex
Hazel Mendez
User offline. Last seen 13 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Hello,

Is it possible to define weight value code on "custom data items" and add weight value for each activities and show percent complete based on this weight value? I’m not sure if "custom data item" function is available in P3 e/c.
Your reply to this matter will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

hazel
Brian Cameron
Thanks Guys for your responses.

I’ll try out a few things you have mentioned.

The original post was for a project, but it is part of a program, so I can use you suggestions for both scenarios.

Regards

Brian.
Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Brian,

I’m not sure if your "project" is actually a program (a collection of projects) in Primavera. If so, then I’ll just tackle a WBS.

Let’s assume that a WBS is actually a Work Package that is contracted out, and therefore is a project in itself.

Let’s also assume that you measure progress for this WBS by Physical Percent Complete.

The reason for these assumptions is that if you’re inquiring about the total percent complete of a group of projects, each using different bases of progress measurements (duration, physical, etc.) then there’d be a lot lot more discussion on how to valuate these different activities.

So going back to the Work Package, if actities are costed (via using resources that have unit prices OR by loading expenses as reflected in the contract document), and you set the measurement of all activities in the WBS to Physical Percent Complete, then by displaying Activity Percent Complete in the Column, Primavera can give you a Total Percent Complete for that specific WBS.

This is because it is comparing apples to apples. It uses Earned Value to come up with your WBS Percent Complete.

Now, if you have another Work Package that is duration-based for progress measurement, Primavera will simply use the total of that WBS as the total number of work periods used as the basis for your Activity Percent Complete, and consequently for the WBS Percent Complete.

However: Please check also the settings for WBS earned value.

The problem lies in asking Primavera what is the total percent complete of the whole program (if you used WBS to contain each project). How does Primavera weigh a duration-based activity with no costs (resource or expenses) with a physical-based activity (which are costed?).

Also, for a long-term program where some Work Packages are still being planned (no budget), while others are already being executed and others are already closed out: How will Primavera (or any other software, for that matter) give you a "Project" percent complete.

This is the reason i focused on a single Work Package (WBS Node).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jorge
Brian Cameron
Alex

The solution was a combination of showing the duration % column, progressing the schedule and having the totals selected in the group and sort.

When all of those were applied the information was visible.

This was on a new schedule and I hadn’t scheduled it after entering the first progress collected(asked not to by others!!), so things weren’t behaving as I expected.

Thanks for your reply.

Brian.

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Brain

Please check whether you resource have at least $1 attached to it. If it does than you can use EVMS (Earn Value) / Physical % to indicate the project completion.

BTW do you update individual activity %??

Alex
Brian Cameron
Hi Dave

I tried Paul Harris’s ideas and I didn’t get what I wanted, probably because of a few things I have not set up correctly!

What I have set up doesn’t fit your two solutions.

The best bet is I give you an idea of what I have.

The project defaults are set as fixed duration and units, percent complete type physical, and resource dependent.
The general information about the activities are that they are resource dependent, fixed duration and units and physical percent complete type.

Resources are set at 8hr/dy and are unpriced, because time collection and finance is controlled through another system.

Basically just a activities in a WBS layout linked together with durations, hours and resources.

Any ideas ?

Regards

Brian.
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
WOW, such a big topic in P3e, Percent Complete and how to roll it up. I run a half day workshop for expert users on the subject. In summary:

1) if you do not use resources, use "Duration percent complete"

2) If you use resources, and they are all priced (if you do not use resource unit prices, set them all to 1.00) then use "performance per cent complete"

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
Brian

You need to show the appropriate column to get a summary percent complete. The Duration % Complete, Units % Complete and Cost % Complete will usually show different values.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Larry Swindall
User offline. Last seen 19 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
If all you want is a project percent complete, then set up a hammock representing all of your activities. This will then show the the overall project percent complete.