Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Work Column in P3e/c

4 replies [Last post]
Brian Cameron
User offline. Last seen 15 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could give a novice some guidance.
I have just recently had P3e/c installed and I have imported a couple of MS Project 2003 schedules which typically showed the following columns "Name", "Start", "Finish", "Duration", "Work" and "Cost".

What I would like to see is a layout / column which shows "work" (hours).
I normally have the duration and work columns sitting next to each other and they could be multiples of 8 hr’s or it could be 10 days duration and only 3 hr’s of work, i.e. updating a report spreadsheet over 2 weeks, not necessarily everyday.

With MSP this is all readily visible on the screen.

For some new schedules I sometimes use an old one and remove the resources (some may have moved on) so when I give a manager a hard copy he can see all the information he needs to see and only has to assign persons to tasks.

Is there a simple way to do this in a similar fashion??

Regards

Brian

Replies

Brian Cameron
Hi Kevin

Our I.T. Dept has the discs, They have now emailed me the files.

Thanks for the assistance.

Brian.
Kevin Button
User offline. Last seen 2 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Brian

On the Documentation CD there are 2 files identifying these, one is titled MPXmappings.pdf and the other is MSPmappings.pdf. If you don’t have the CD let me know and I can email them to you.

Regards
Brian Cameron
Hi Kevin

Thanks, that works great.

Just another quick one.

You wouldn’t happen to know if there is a column description dictionary around or a column/description that compares P3ec columns with MSP columns?

Cheers

Brian.
Kevin Button
User offline. Last seen 2 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Brian

Work or Manhours are generally called Units in P3e. One way to see this in a layout is to use the Budgeted Labor Units column.

It might also be an idea to go to Edit, User Preferences and check the Time Units tab so that your Units Format and Durations Format are set up for what you need (eg units in hours and durations in days)

Cheers