Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Enterprise resoruce levelling

13 replies [Last post]
Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
We are trying to use P3ec for an enterprise resourcing exercise.

We succeed successfully to use roles and then switch to the single resource assignment, and have role and resource profiles.
We also succeed to resource level for the portfolio of selected projects … but P3ec is levelling only the resource associated with non critical activities and letting any over allocation associated with the critical path.
In the levelling form we flag out the “Level resources only within activity total float”,
we also prioritize the projects with “Project Levelling Priority” as per project importance but nothing change.
It seams it is able to level resource between projects only on the non critical activities.

Any one has before used P3ec for company resorucing purpose?

Any tips will be welcome.

Thanks
Luca

Replies

Amar Aghana
User offline. Last seen 17 years 1 week ago. Offline
Heide, Thanks for the advise. - Amar.
Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Amar,

After you’ve leveled your planning. You should put some constraints on your activities to keep them right in time. Otherwise the activities will be planned earlier after you do a new schedule (F9). You could also choose to automaticly level after each schedule but you should realy think it over if this is wat you want.
To make a good (leveled) baseline i use constraints to hold the nessesary activities in place

Regards

Henk
Amar Aghana
Hi Heide,

That is fine and thanks. Actually I wanted to know how to set the activity levelling priorities to activities. Or is it something like, whenever primavera(machine) levels, it levels depending on the float available. I mean to say, priority is nothing but float?? Pls advise.
Amar Aghana
Hi Heide,

That is fine and thanks. Actually I wanted to know how to set the activity levelling priorities to activities. Or is it something like, whenever primavera(machine) levels, it levels depending on the float available. I mean to say, priority is nothing but float?? Pls advise.
Henk van der Heide
Hi Amar,

When you do a machine leveling then the machine (primavera) searches for a way to set the activities in such a way that the amount of resources during your project will be most ideal within the constraints of your project.

For example: instead of scheduling all work at monday so you need 5 resources on that day you could spread them over the hole week so every day has one resource.

However the more float you’ve in your schedule the better results you’ve with leveling. Otherwise you’ve to move or set some (different) constraints

good luck

Regards

Henk
]
Amar Aghana

Hi all,

In p3 e&c ver 4.1,

Under Levelling resource, What is activity levelling and how to set Activity Levelling priority

cheers, Amar.
Henk van der Heide
Luca,

I’ve been reading your question
Dont you’ve other constraints witin your project so that primavera will not or cant level your resources ?. Primavera will then not level them because then it looks like you’ve best resource loading you can have but on the other hand its not within the constraints you’ve set. So the project leveling is o.k. but one of your projects (of parts) will finish 2 weeks later. I always level within in the constraint of my project. Somethimes this can by machine sometimes i’ve to adjust the plan by hand to reach my goals.

Regards
Henk
Luca Basile
Vladmir,
thanks for the tips.
I will be downloading the software this week end and I will start to work on it.

Thanks agian for the collaboaration and support.

L
I was close. I understood that you started to manage people as individuals, not as workforce.
Yes, create an example and send it to me spider@mail.cnt.ru
I will help with the simulation of your situation. If to use Demo then create a couple of small projects (less than 20 activities each) and then include them into portfolio for testing cross projects levelling.
I’ll be waiting for your letter.
Regards,
Vladimir
Luca Basile
Vladimir,
that is not corret 100%.
I am a PM consultancy for Design and construction.

I will download and try to make a simple example to roll up over here.

L
Luca,
Spider Demo can be downloaded from http://www.spiderproject.ru/spider_e.php

It can level resources across several projects (try portfolio management), it uses another approach to role assignment.

In Spider Project you can define any number of skills and create groups of resources that have corresponding skills. Each resource can belong to several such groups. Then you can assign skills to activities. Assigning skills you define the total number of resources that are necessary to perform an activity or their total productivity. The software will choose which resources to use basing on their availability, productivity and cost. You can interfer in this process assigning resource priorities within the skill group.

On LOE activity you can define variable workload (minimal and maximal quantities and workloads). In this case resources can be temporarily moved to other activity and then they will continue to perform LOE activity.

Spider ignores No Later Than constrints if it is impossible to do the work in time with the set of resources you have.

I am glad that you returned.
I suspect that you are now working with the desigh/engineering company. Is it true?
Vladimir
Luca Basile
Vladimir,
nice to hear you again.
Actually we have done some kind of progress.
The system has limitation due to the constrains imposed by the tools (no levelling resource on LOE, or activities with early dates constarined, etc ...)

I lost spider in a hard disk crash.
I was wondering if it was possible to manage an enterprise resoruce database, with capabilities to:
- resoruce levelling along several projects;
- use roles and resoruces.

L
Luca,
I waited for an answer to your question with the great interest. I am afraid that no answer is an answer. Inform me you will find a solution.
Regards,
Vladimir