Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 vs. Enterprise

20 replies [Last post]
I will start of the topic.

Could someone spend a few minutes and list out the essential differences between the two packages.

Thank you.

James

Replies

Jonathan Kirby
User offline. Last seen 24 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None
Bill
Many thanks,
are the 4 options a global choice in scheduling, or can they be assigned to every link ?
If the latter then primavera have clearly sorted out the problem and moreover have now got powerfull and contollable logic options.
I hope the latter !
Regards
Jonathan
Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 32 weeks ago. Offline

>Do any of you know if in Enterprise version have Primavera >sorted out their flawed FF lag logic link processing. It >adopts the calendar of the predecessor which is wrong and is >one of my main problems with P3.1
>Also do they plan to give user ability to put calendars on >links which would cure this error.

There are four options for scheduling relationship lag with Enterprise version 4.1. This is a scheduling option.
1. Successor activity calendar
2. Predecessoar activity calendar
3. 24 hr calendar
4. Project default calendar

Regards,
Bill
Jonathan Kirby
User offline. Last seen 24 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Hi.
Do any of you know if in Enterprise version have Primavera sorted out their flawed FF lag logic link processing. It adopts the calendar of the predecessor which is wrong and is one of my main problems with P3.1
Also do they plan to give user ability to put calendars on links which would cure this error.
Regards
JK
Anthony France
User offline. Last seen 8 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
This is just a quick response.

I am something of a P3 / Pervasive expert, who was reluctant to change to P3e - load of hassle for what benefit?

Having changed over, I can now see that the benefit is enormous. The hassle is very limited.

Watch out though! P3e will put many planners out of work and rightly so. Project Managers can use it. Team Leaders with no previous planning experience can be taught to use it competently and effectively for developing resourced project plans.

P3e brings enormous benefits to business - the larger the business, the greater the benfit exponentially. It also returns planning to the ownership of the people who are ultimately responsible for executing it!
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Gents,

Our corporation just migrated from P3 to P3e/c. In addition, we had also implemented a SQL backend link between our business database (MIMS) with P3e/c.
During the migration process, we had come across lots of obstacles, and our schedulers immediately pick up lots of differences between the two softwares. I.e. period performance, report set up, concept of Apply actual and scheduling and hieratical structure in Resource, Calender, and code etc…
And now we are towards to final stage of the migration, the schedulers changes from opposing, to mitigate and now start to accepting the software. It took us more than 6 months to achieve the current status.
In overall, I would say the migration was a very painful excise but its worth it. With the new system we can now explore and analysis the scheduling data for the whole corporation, which was never been achievable with P3.

Regards
Alex Wong
Nicholas Sero
User offline. Last seen 10 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ray,

The following are my answers:

1.Project Manager has concurrent user licens.
Portfolio Analyst has named user license.

2. To my knowledge No.

3. Set up is not hard, providing that you get some IT assistance in setting up SQL and WEB server. The latter only if WEB publishing is required. I have set up my PC as SQL, WEB server and Client in 1 hour. There have been some frustrating issues in connecting to correct data base alias. Generelly, accepting defaults during the set up should give you trouble free installation.

4. My advices - start using it on smaller, non critical project. Alternatively, allow at least 1 week of self training for an experienced planner, prior to working with live project. Do not learn "by the school of hard knocks" on large critical project. P3 e/c is vastly different to P3 3.1

Regards

Nicholas Sero
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 7 hours ago. Offline
Hi PPers,

Have any of you seen the post that some of the members are working up - that attempts to compare / contract various planning packages?

See this thread

Hope it adds value.
Ray Messinger
User offline. Last seen 4 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Good information here. We are also considering migrating to P3e/c and I have a lot of questions.

Are the licenses per concurrent user like Expedition?
Can users access the info for viewing w/o a licence?
How long does it take to setup, convert and train users for a medium size operation?
Have any tips / lessons-learned from experience?

Thanks,
Jason Selby
User offline. Last seen 8 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Nicolas Hi,

On the performance side, there are considerable advantages to be had using Oracle db setup over MS SQL so far as speed goes. Also it may be worth tweaking your BDE settings.

Also Are you aware of the WBS Path filter in the activity view, this may goes someway towards meeting your needs in that area.

I agree with you on reporting side it is not as easy as P3 when reporting on tables of data, but it is worth perservering with the Reporting writer built in as there is alot that can be done in that area.

regards
Jason
Nicholas Sero
User offline. Last seen 10 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
P3 e/c is completely different product. I have found it more complex to operate than P3 3.1.

Whilst P3 e/c has some great advantages over P3 3.1, the following are some of the problems or issues that P3 e/c can not handle:

discontinuous(interuptible)scheduling (MAJOR PROBLEM)
Wild cards characters in WBS filtering and selections
WBS layout can not be saved (page set up)
Very limited filtering and bar formatting with WBS layout

Tabular reports, although great in numbers, are not customised as well as in P3 3.1 nor they are as convinient to use as in P3 3.1.

Page set up is nowhere near as flexible as in P3 e/c.
Temporary variables
Global notebook formating

Physical % complete will not compute the resource usage. I found it hard to believe that having introduced the activity steps and physical % computation from the steps (great feature), they stoped there. Thus, physical % derived from the steps is not processed any further, unless you create global change and remember to run it each time the changes are made.

Processing speed via remote VPN access to SQL server and 1.5 Mbps line is shocking. It took 27 seconds to schedule 1000 activity network. I have used Pentium IV PC as SQL server and Pentium III notebook for remote access.

It is two times slower than P3 3.1 when used in stand alone configuration. It takes 4 seconds to schedule the same network as oposed to P3 3.1 2 seconds.

Having said all of this, P3 e/c is the way to go. However, I will wait for the new release before I contemplate changing over at corporate level.They have to fix up some of the foregoing problems that I consider major flaws.

I have passed on my proposed implementations to P3.

Regards
Mohamed Gebriel
User offline. Last seen 10 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there,

I have been deeply into both P3 and P3e starting with P3 a lot earlier and I can clearly state that mastering P3e is a lot more easy and fun than P3.

P3es user interface is far more advanced and user-friendly. Menus are now office-like. Several top and side toolbars are available to provide shortcuts to every possible function. The organize, sort and filter ability is built in a standard way to almost all modules.

In general the application is a lot more organized. In spite of the ease of P3e compared to P3, It provides much more features and capabilities, but in an organized matter.
Forum Guest
One issue, I have heard, is that P3 has a "steep learning curve" - resulting on a reluctance of potential users to buy into it. Does P3e address this with its higher Win32 compatibility?

Would someone care to comment on this?

Thanks,

IDM
Jason Selby
User offline. Last seen 8 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
There are many differences between the two. In essence though the focus is on Enterprise Management (Hence the e).
P3e is built on the same architecture as Primavera TeamPlay (same product only different marketing) both are very much about Larger more scaleble use of the PM software within an organisation.

Main Differences:
Sechduling: P3e/Teamplay Does not yet allow as many Scheduling options as P3 yet. Allot of the tools useful in Claims analysis are not present in P3e/TP

Data Dictionaries: Gan be both global and project based and locked with security as well as project specific, virtually limitless with mutilple levels

Portfolio Analysis Viewing and Reporting: P3e/Teamplay is vastly more powerful than p3 I regularly have over 400 projects simultaneously loaded to analysis resource loading across the Enterprise.

Template Build A far more management sophisticated approach than fragnets to building a project.

Scalability: It is possible to have one central oracle database with hundreds of PMs RMs etc all working collaboratively together. Difficult with the old P3 summaries etc.

Security: Much more customiseable and flexible than that of P3

In summary it gives an excellent opportunity for standardisation and rollout of best practice across an enterprise.
Mohamed Gebriel
Shamas,

As you said they are almost the same thing with some extras for construction in P3e/c. The only other difference starting from January as I understand, normal P3e will be sold as named user license only whicg would be cheaper than P3e/c which will be sold as a concurrent license at the same normal price.
Shamas Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 6 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mohamed,
Thanks for replying.

Can I assume that both P3e and P3e/c are the same thing and that all that P3e/c has is extra layouts etc ready for the contstruction industry.

I would therfore presume it is better to go for P3e/c if I was upgrading from P3 3.2. Only on the bases that it has extra layouts and I may use them who knows?
Is this the case? or are their any technical difference between these two packages?

Regards

Shamas Ibrahim
Mohamed Gebriel
Hi Shamas,

P3e/C is a variant of P3e which stands for P3e for construction. What you are possibly talking about is P3e with a concurrent license, which is just the type of the user license.

Back to P3e/c, it is a special version with to an extent more features and improvements than P3e ver. 3 and also Primavera has brought back many features than were originally in P3 and were not implemented in P3e. This version as it can be expected from its name has a handfull of customized items (filters, layouts, reports, codes, templates, etc..) specially made for the construction industry.

You can say that this version was published to encourage the majority of P3 users and lovers whicg are in the construction industry to migrate to P3e/c.
Shamas Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 6 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Can somebody please explain the real differences between
P3e and P3e/c.

I have heard that one is server based and can only run on the server and the other is for stand alone machines like portables.

any information wuld be appreciated as it is not very clear in any of the information Primavera have issue.

Thanks
Shamas Ibrahim
shamas.ibrahim@grantrail.co.uk
Bill McGavin
User offline. Last seen 20 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
just had my first glimpse of P3e. Must admit, am disappointed with a no. of issues, however appreciate that it will be the tool of the future (2/3 years??.) Id be interested in chatting with anyone who has been working with direct Oracle input.
Forum Guest
Hi Bill, One of the guys from the States was working with Oracle, hes on leave but I will leave a message at his home for him when he returns. I dont know much about it myself - sorry I cant be of much help. I noticed that the email address you have used has bounced back to the planning planet webserver with a failer error - user unknown?? You can change it via a hyperlink on the "Members" page. I will be in touch (if you change your email) once I get in touch with Pete. Regards. For Planning Planet Team.
Mohamed Gebriel
First I want to thank you guys for this new category. It is really needed and sonner or later it had to come and the sooner the better. So, thanks for this step in improving the site and lets continue!

James,

As for your question, as you might expect there are tons of differences between the two. You can say theyre totally two different software. So whatll do is as you said take just a short while to point out the major and most important differences and from the point of view that you already use and know P3.

Management Method:
P3 used the normal method of project management. Planning, managing and controlling separate independent projects.
P3e introduced a new method of Enterprise Management. Managing a group of dependent projects under the enterprise umbrella. This was done using the EPS (Enterprise Project Structure)

Capabilities:
P3e is superior in scheduling features, resource management, earned value, progress calculation and formatting. Unfortunately it is still weaker than P3 in dealing with material resources and in global changes.

Data Dictionaries:
Almost in every dictionary in P3e (resources, ativity code values, etc) you have the ability to create hierarchical structures. Also you develop some global (enterprise) dictionaries as a one-time created dictionary for the whole company. Dictionaries are a lot more flexible and easier to crete.
There is no more activity ID coding as there was in P3.

Viewing and Reporting:
In P3 you could open a max of 4 projects each in a separate window and of course working separately on them. There was no multi-project reporting.
In P3e there is now 3 additional windows. Projects, tracking and WBS in addition to the normal activities window. You can open even all your projects at one time and work on them actively on the same window (that is applicable for all 4 windows). The WBS now is a dynamic entity with its activities, resources, etc. Reporting is better tabular and graphical. Multi-project reporting is as simple as single project reporting. This is a huge move!

Performance:
P3e is a lot more faster and organized. Using far better hosting environments, SQL and Oracle made this possible. P3e can deal with much larger amounts of records due to the same reason.
True multi-user sharing on the same project is made possible in LAN versions. But...P3e is a lot less stable than P3 and if unlucky you could be a victim of likely cashes. This is why P3e requires a high level of IT technical support.

End Result:
P3e approaches with a new perspective using enterprise management with improved capabilities and features. It should be more of a company adopted system than an individual planner tool. It is currently in its still developing phases, but what is for sure is that Primavera is always working on publishing frequent improved versions. This means that sooner or later in the near future most people will begin changing to P3e and this already beginning now gradually. So starting now to adapt yourself and get used to it would be a wise thing to do. One more thing, Primavera will discontinue P3 anyway, so there wouldnt be a choice to really take in the future!

I hope this can help you get an idea of P3e. I see that I had gone far more than I was expecting to post, but still if anyone still has any questions, Ill be happy to answer them.