Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Allocation

6 replies [Last post]
Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 3 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Is there some way that resources could be allocated to activities fast.

The only way I know is to go to each activity one by one and enter the resources manually and then input the units per time period. This is pain staking on large projects.

Is there some other way???
I tried exporting but the export file types are lotus, Ascii etc. which I dont think the new versions of excel can deal with.

Replies

Robin Reyes
User offline. Last seen 3 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Another way is to organize the activities by resources.
Then, put a column for budgeted quantities. There, you can easily input the activities in the column provided and you can also use the Fill Cell feature if there are many similar quantities.
Good luck
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
you are correct Neastor
nestor quijano
User offline. Last seen 12 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
hi shareff,
in addition to Shahul, 1st multi select the activities you want to add resources using ctrl+click or u can use ctrl+A to select all the activities then click Insert and Resource Assignment.

nes
Louie Corbeta
User offline. Last seen 13 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Shareef,

We are on the same boat when dealing with the latest version of Excel which it doesn’t support any of the output files of P3. Hence, we cannot utilize the import/export facility of P3 which is surely the quickest and easiest way to load resources. This is the reason I am still using MS Excel 2003 (its crude though)until now because it works both with P3 as well as with P6.

My suggestion: stick with MS Excel 2003 when using P3 to save a lot of headache.

Regards,
Louie
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi shareef

There is a way if the activities have same resources you could use insert option , select resource assignment ,choose resource you want to enter followed by units per day or budgeted quantity . which is very easy step
Anbin Ponnith
User offline. Last seen 8 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hai Shareef
Option 1
U Can Use RA Application Activity.Xls(U Can Find it in P3 Installtion CD) Which Will Work in New & Old Version
Option 2
If u Save the Export File in .DBF it Will work in Excel 2003

Regards
Anbin