Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3/P6 Global Variable

8 replies [Last post]
Dinesh Kumar
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Do you know if we can define global variables (either user or system) in Global Changes? I have been experimenting and can’t get it to work. User variables (&TMP, for example) seem to be reset at each activity, thus failing to carry the data over from the last one. Globalvariables that I can find, you only seem to be able to read, not write to.

I need this in the following format

Define variable ’X’
X=1000
user number1 = X (for Activity ID A1000)
X=X+10 (now X value is 1010)
user number1 = X (for Activity ID A1010) and so on

Dinesh

Replies

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 36 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
There are few functions in global change option that would help you to modify the existing activity IDs as i posted in last message
Ronald Romero
User offline. Last seen 1 year 1 week ago. Offline
Hi Dinesh,

P3/P6 dont have the facilities using global change to auto increment Activity ID. The easiest way is to export it to other software like excel then import back again. Excel has robust facilities in changing text and integers including automatic renumberingincluding the formula like concactenate .

Hope this this provide solution.

Regards,

Ronald
Shah. HB
Any clarificaiton of global change functions you could post on this thread so that seniors out here will get you better solution
Dinesh Kumar
Thanks Shahul let me check
Shah. HB
Hi dinesh you could modify your activity ID in P3 using global change ,check out in help {P3} and search for global change you might come across list of functions like RIGHT,LEFT and so on which would help you to modify your activity ID in easy way out
Shah. HB
Yes there is a way out in global change .I will get back soon
Dinesh Kumar
In fact, When I was done with my schedule, Client came up with an activity ID coding system. So now I’m forced to change all the activity IDs (about 1000 of them in number) to suit. Is there a way out for this with a Global change?
Shah. HB
Dinesh ,you need to increment a activity through global change option?