Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

i cannot send email my projects in p3

6 replies [Last post]
faik ulku
User offline. Last seen 15 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
i cannot send email my projects in p3. who can help me. always error

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 13 min ago. Offline
From Suretrak Help (readme file):

Primavera Post Office lets you view or update project information attached to a mail message. It provides a status sheet which you can use to edit data files (with PRD extension) sent by Primavera Project Planner or SureTrak Project Manager.

You can use this application with P3, SureTrak, or independently. Primavera Post Office can be redistributed to others at no charge. Follow the steps below to install Primavera Post Office as a stand-alone application.

1 Copy the Prmmail.exe, Prmmail.hlp and Ssvbx25.vbx to the directory in which you would like to install Post Office.

2. Before attempting to use Primavera Post Office with your mail system for the FIRST TIME, simply run PRMMAIL.EXE, and then choose File, Exit. This registers the application so that Primavera Post Office is run automatically when you attempt to access a PRD file from within your mail system.

For your convinience I posted the files from my Suretrak installation disk in the following link as a zip folder so you can distribute it either through your email or through this link.

http://rapidshare.com/files/240772560/Prmmail.zip

For a screen view of Post Office

http://rapidshare.com/files/249414126/Primavera_Mail_Screen.pdf

Good Luck

Rafael Davila
faik

If you decide to distribute the mail update utility to others who do not have P3 installed at their computers; most probably after they copy the utility under their Programs Folder they will have to register the file extension on the explorer windows under Tools\File Options\File Types.

I believe in this way with a single license at the main office you can communicate with the field using this utility without licensing infringement. Let us know if it works in computers without P3. I am using the utility under SureTrak with the other side having a license of SureTrak but I still believe the utility might be used stand alone.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Rafael

Please start using your real name again in your very interesting responses.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
I believe you missed the location of the P3.ini file because its location is not shown on the help screen you get from the error dialog box. If you cannot find it you can do a file search. The P3.ini file can be opened for editing just by double clicking on it.

Please remember at the end of the [Mail Options] section not at the very end of the P3.ini file. Also back up your old P3.ini file, copy and paste then rename from Copy of P3.ini to P3.old.

P3 cost = $4,000.00 trough Primavera Vendor, Suretrak cost = $400.00 US dollars street price on Amazon ; P3 up to 100,000 activities, Suretrak up to 10,000 activities; Both can handle P3 concentric files, SureTrak cannot edit some P3 fields Suretrak does not have, for example cost fields (can be handled through resources definition); P3 database can be accessed and modified by several users at the same time, SureTrak can be installed on a server but only one user can edit a file while others can only read it at the same time; Graphic reports in P3 unsurpassed; P3 can communicate with other software modules; Both have a similar interface; Both are no longer being updated by Primavera.

If you have P3 use it as long as you can, it has the edge over Suretrak other than cost.
faik ulku
User offline. Last seen 15 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
thnk you mate. i ll try to do what you say. by the way could you please tell me something about suretrack. what is the main difference between p3.1 and suretrcak. as i know suretrack is more simple than p3. so why peple choose to use suretrack.
Rafael Davila
For P3 Mail Updating Utility If using newer versions of Outlook not supported by P3:

Edit P3.ini file located under c:\WINDOWS by adding at the end the following lines under [Mail Options].
BypassSend=1
BypassReceive=1

After editing It should read something like:
[Mail Options]
LastSent=17
StatusSheetType=17
Server=mapi
SendMaskedLogs=1
BypassSend=1
BypassReceive=1

I would recommend adding a folder named MAIL under your Projects folder.

You will be able to use the mail updating utility for send and receive through this folder. The recipient do not needs to have P3 installed but a copy of the PRMAIL.EXE file to update it and return it back.

To send compressed P3 files you will have to create the Backup file as a compressed file using Tools\Project Utilities\Back up Menu as you no longer will be able to do so under File\Send Mail Menu option.

This is a very convenient utility to use for updating as the updater will send you the file and you will not have to manually update P3. Unfortunately Primavera no longer updates P3 and as new operating systems and new e-mail software are released P3 will lose more and more of its functionality. Sorry, a few extra steps but the utility worth’s it.

I have a way around, if you have SureTrak a “little leaguer-pampers division” you can use from within SureTrack the e-mail utility to send and receive your P3 concentric files, yes those you generated from within P3. SureTrak is compatible with Outlook 2007. I don’t know how it would handle jobs above 10,000 activities SureTrak limit, not there yet, “pampers-division”.

XXX