Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Send Mail Failure

9 replies [Last post]
Jerry Lan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Dear planners,

I have been trying to use primavera’s send mail facility. Somehow in this new company i cannot. The pop-up message is:

’Unable to locate mail dll: MAPI.DLL. Please make sure a mail system is installed on your machine,’

Can someone expert enough kindly advise how to set the mail system up and going?

Regards,
-j-erry

Replies

Scott Hastie
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Hello there

i think the problem is P3 is not compatible with outlook 2003

i got this from the P3 knowledge base:

Problem: Error: "Unable to locate MAPI.DLL" when using P3 mail with Outlook 2003

Problem: Cannot receive messages via P3 mail

Problem: No messages appear in inbox for P3 mail

Fix: P3 has known issues using newer mail systems because of the limitations of its 16 bit technology. As a result, P3 is unable to locate a MAPI.DLL used by older mail systems, specifically Outlook. The new versions of Outlook use a MAPI32.DLL which P3 cannot use.

Workarounds:

Compressed Backup: Instead of using P3 mail to create a compressed backup, you can make a compressed backup via Tools, Project Utilities, Backup and check the compressed box. This will create a .PRX file which you can attach to an email. For more information on how to create a compressed backup in P3, please refer to solution 2002426113433: How to make a backup in P3?

Bypass Send and Receive: To send a group of activities and not the whole project, you can create a .PRD file to send to another user who can open the file in Primavera Post Office or P3. This option requires editing your P3.INI file. Please follow the instructions below on how to setup Bypass Send and Bypass Receive. This was the solution i previously posted

Cheers

Scott

Riyah Suharto
User offline. Last seen 17 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Scott ..

Following my latest posting, I did found that I couldn’t opened PRD file through ’Recieve Mail’ facilities.
It’s still looking for Outlook (PST) file.

Any suggest?
Thanks in advance.
Riyah
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
As Jerry said, it is not working in single attempt. you have to save and then attach with a file. i am looking for someone who can give a solution to this.
Jerry Lan
Thank you Scott,

Will post if find a solution to this.

Gratefully yours,
Jerry
Scott Hastie
Jerry,

I just save them in a folder on the C drive called post office files, then attache them to e-mail from there.

like yourself, at my old company it was a one step process, you click next, and go straight to your mail application, but since i moved a cant get it to work that way anmore, this was the only solution i could find.

Cheers

Scott
Jerry Lan
Hello planners!

Thanks Scott. I did as mentioned and I did get prompted to save the prd file. so then you attach the prd file in an email? A two step process, then. Also I cannot attached ’compressed backup of entire project" Anyone knows how to make it work in a one step process? It was working this way in one step in my previous company (one new mail window with attachement got opened). Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jerry
Scott Hastie
Happy to help

Riyah Suharto
User offline. Last seen 17 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Scott ..

Thanks a lot .. it’s worked .. and did you know that you had answered my question on my another post.

|R|S|
Scott Hastie
Hi There,

I have had the same problem in the past, here is how i fixed it, Click the windows start button and use search to find a file called P3.INI, It should be in the C:\WINDOWS folder, when you open it you should get a notepad file with a whole list of stuff, scroll down untill you get to [mail options], delete what is under the [mail options] and replace with the following text:

LastSent=33
StatusSheetType=273
Server=MAPI
SendMaskedLogs=1
ActivityEditKey=1001111
ResourceEditKey=
Relationships=0
BypassSend=1
BypassRecieve=1

Then you just save & close. When you restart P3 you should be able to use the send mail facility, although it will ask you to now save you P3 post office file, other than go straight to outlook