Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Urgent Scheduling help please

6 replies [Last post]
Safak Vural
User offline. Last seen 4 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Dear all,

There is a problem with the actual resources and the estimate to complete when I am making a schedule update on a recently reforcasted schedule. I think everything is in order but I canot find the problem. I am updatin 6 schedules right now but I have problem only on this one. I need a urgent help.

Autocost rules are:
-Link remaining durations and sch % : checked
-Subtract actual from EAC: checked
-When quantity change, use current unit prices .....
all checked!!
-Use update % complete against budget to estimate
all checked!!
-Link Budget and EAC for non-progressed act: checked.
-Calculate variance as BUDGET-EAC: Checked
-Apply these.... Cell: checked.

Let me give you an example:
IN PREVIOUS FILE: in one activity&resource:
BUDGETED QTY:44677
ACTUAL TO DATE: 38868.99
TO COMPLETE: 5808.01
AT COMPLETION: 44677
VARIANCE: 0
%: 87.1
UPDATED SCHEDULE:
BUDGETED QTY:44677
ACTUAL TO DATE: 38958.34
TO COMPLETE: 46677(??????!!!!)
AT COMPLETION: 83635.34
VARIANCE: -38958.34
%: 87.2

It is making To complete same as the budgeted quantity and this is happening every file that has an update. I corrected this by hand from resource screen bu it is going to give me same problem every week. If someone has a suggestion I would be glad.

Best regards to all of the planners,

Safak VURAL

Replies

Safak Vural
Than you all,

Best Regards,
Ife Olyke
User offline. Last seen 10 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
I use DBF to import data into P3.

In my case, progress import DBF file contains;
Activity Id, % Complete, Actual Start (AS), Actual Finish (AF)

My experience is that; if the first line item for AS or AF in the table is blank, then for some reasons, it changes AS or AF column to text; and if you happen not to check before importing, then you’ll probably import progress data with no finish dates. To get round it, I sort the data by AF, then by AS.

If you copy and paste onto an existing DBF file, then you will have to delete and re-create the name...
Safak Vural
Thank you for your support,

I checked the project there are no corruption. I found the problem. The problem is coming from importing and exporting. When I updated activities by hand there are no problems. I changed the import and export tables. (All folders etc.) Problem solved. I am using .DBF to importing. If anyone has a more technical explanation. (like format of the file or extension of the folder vs.) I will be glad to hear it.

Best Regards,

Safak
Safak Vural
Thank you for your interest. I am both using store period performance and I am importing progresses and actual dates.
Waiting for your reply.

Safak
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Pinan T.

You do not make clear if you are updating the progress by typing it in or updating it from another source. Are you importing progress from excel?
PINAN T.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
other than it is corrupted, do you use store period performance?