Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Global Change Help Urgent

7 replies [Last post]
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
In one of the Infrstructure projects, I m working on with scope covering Chilled water pipeline, storm water, sewerage, Gas pipeline, Telecommunications, HVL, LVL, irrigation and other services, after six months, there were huge changes in design and profile levels of all services and for which extension of time need to be submitted to Client.

I hav done most of d planned and mitigated events using Global change, but now I hav to insert two activities in each district / road section.

Act. No. 01 - Branch Excavation works (Apart from Header Lines, which was there in the original scope)

Act. No. 02 - Branch Pipe Laying Works

Now, Act. No. 01 shud come after an activity called Patial backfilling upto duct level and

Act. No. 02 before Hydrotesting of sections with FS relationship with previous activity.

there r almost 50 + sections wherein I need to insert these activities and change the logical relationships.

Is there any way out to have some program or macros designed to insert these activities at appropriate locations with new relationships.

GUYS Urgent plz. Its taking too much of time to insert and define relationship manually for all sections.

Cheers,

Ravi

Replies

James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
make an export of an activity and some relationships to DBF using Tools>Project Utilities>Export.... Export all current data

The activity data will be in one file, the relationships will be in another.

You can open and see these in Excel. Now you have the correct headings

Make your new activities in excel, where you can use formulae etc to do your generation. Make you relationships too (in teh successor file)

Once finished, first save them as DBF then save off a copy as .xls (just in case)

Open the DBF file again to make sure it hasn’t snipped the data (which it does sometimes, don’t know why)

if it’s OK, then run Tools>Project Utilities>import... in P3

If you have the problem that Excel snips the data then do the folowing;

open Access

import the originally exported DBF file as a table. Delete the records in it.
Import the Excel file you saved with your new activities in it into the table you just created.
Export the table to DBF
This will clean the data

Repeat for the successors table

import to P3 (Tools>Project Utilities>import... )

If you are good with MSAccess, you can load up the Pervasive ODBC drivers and do the whole thing in access. I’m just learning how to do this now and it’s definitely more powerful / less error prone than export to Excel. It’s a bit dodgy though as you’re working in the live P3 database.

Back-ups are your friend
Mohamed Basheer
User offline. Last seen 5 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Raviraj,

Import into p3 is new to me. Very interesting topic.

I am working on a similar project with very similar design changes and Interim EOT of 310 days ( ! could you believe it )had been applied and got 270 approved.

We have 4 Post tensioned bridges also and 1.0m dia Chilled water insulated steel pipes to be taken through service voids in the bridge deck...

Mr.Dattatreya
Could you please send the dbase.exe file to me too. Thanx Id.yembee@gmail.com
A D
Still not digested into the system!!

there r ten digits as usual for act id

First for project, C

Next two for Road Name, C30, C40, C90 etc.

Next three for services, like CHW for chilled water, IRR for irrigation and so on...

Next 1 digit is for suphase like I for installation, F for finishing and so on.

last three for activity.

Now, in each section, i hav to insert only two activities giving their relationship.

So, i believe, v cant go for act+1 or something like this beacuse of coding of activity ID’s in the curremnt system.

Anyway,send me the dbase.exe file at ravirajab@yahoo.co.in I hav finished the current assignment as it was bit urgent but will definitely help a lot in near future.

Cheers,

Ravi
DATTATREYA PADHARTHI
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Ravi,
Defining activities & assigning relationship as u told will not take more than 20~30 minutes.
1.Are ur activities alphanumeric or numeric, For numeric actid’s, solution is easier than alphanumeric.
2. I am sure u there should be a uniformity in act description, use that to your advantage.
3. Even if ur act id are alphanumeric, the last few positions must be numeric, Right!
4. for each group/set of activities ( assume u have act no 1 & act no 4),use define activities using an excel macro or dbase program. (Commands such as ADD "act +1", & act +1 FS act are used.

I believe you have defined "steps" for the first & last activity , will be easy for exporting as well as for the commands.

Dbase programming is extremely useful for batch creations.
I shall try to send u dbase.exe along with small programs to do all exports/imports.

Cheers

datta
A D
Anoon, Thnx for tat

But just thinking if somebody can reduce those two hours to ten minutes.

There r lot of in-built facilities within the software, which v r never aware of. So, just thought of exploring that.

The only pain is giving relationship every time.

Cheers,
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Ravi,

using P3, inserting activities doesn’t take much time, I believe you only got 100 activities to insert (2 x 50), you can do that in less than 2 hrs. (just to be safe); no need for global change.
DATTATREYA PADHARTHI
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Ravi,

I used dbase program for these kind of activity inserts.
Export relevant fields for the required filter in dbf file, In the command line, if the id is numeric, add(1, 2 etc), run the command & same for the second activity & save.
Now save as second file, use command for FS (defining relations) for the set of activities & save.

u have two dbf files & import back.
Note: For second file use the fields exporting the successor relationship options.

u can use access for the same & save as dbf.

Cheers

datta