Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

activities moving with data date line

6 replies [Last post]
Jonathan Ward
User offline. Last seen 12 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Good Afternoon,
i could well be asking a glaringly obvious question,,,
i would like to (F9) my current schedule on a daily basis, i do NOT want activities that have not started i.e been progressed, to move in-line with the data date line, i would like these activities to stay where they currently are placed while the data date lines moves on past them,, is this possible??
once again
many thanks
jon

Replies

Jonathan Ward
User offline. Last seen 12 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
thanks Akin, that iss just what i’m after
kind regards
Jon
Akin Adurosakin
User offline. Last seen 15 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Basically P3 is not intended for this kind of schedule. However it provides flexibility to achieve what you want to achieve.

You can do this by creating a target bar. Subsequently you manage this target bar as you would manage the early bar but note that this is the target/baseline. You can the save this as a layout specifically for this purpose.

How?
Go to ‘Tools’ --->> ‘Project Utilities’ --->> ‘Target’ then choose your project (same project) remember to change the project name.

Go to ‘Format’ --->> ‘Bars’ the add another bar (by clicking the + sign). In the opened window under ‘Description’ give your new bar a name (e.g. Target 1- Report). Make the following selections:
‘Start point’ --->> Target 1 early start
‘End point’ --->>Target 1 early finish
‘Bar’ --->> Bar
‘Position’ --->> 3
(These are minimum selection you should make; do format the bar as may be necessary)
Then click ‘OK’
Check/select/click all the options (‘Visible’, ‘Progress’, ‘Critical’, ‘Neck’) except ‘Key’ (Please don’t make this bar the key bar, if you do it will affect your leveling) then ‘Close’

Save the layout for future use. (go to ‘View’ --->> ‘Save as’)
When you schedule, the progress will be showing on the bars, and the remaining duration will not be rescheduled.

Please note, like I said earlier this is not for planning but for reporting if I may say.

I hope this is helpful.

Akin Adurosakin
Nigeria
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
another simple answer is Yes you can!

just put constraints on all your activities! apply this only on your Target or Baseline Schedule, but not on your Current one!
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Jon,

The simple answer to your query is “NO”. F9 in P3 means schedule the whole programme to data date that you set and it will automatically move the activities that has not been starter sitting behind the data date.

There are many ways of showing your activities not move or stay on the same place when you press F9 or schedule your programme if you needed to.

One is to use a custom data for your ES and EF date. You can use global change to transfer your ES and EF date to this field and on format bars you can use this custom data to display your bar. It’s up to you if you would like to hide the original or actual ES & EF date or show both bars on different rows.

Another way is to copy your original file before the update and schedule. Make this copy as your target project or baseline. Again you can show both actual and target bars on different rows. The target project will not move even you press F9 or schedule the programme.

I hope this make sense.

Regards,
Rodel
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I don’t understand why you need this.

Maybe you can try custom data and custom bar.
store the start/finsh date to custom data item e.g. MYST/MYFN, then creat a custom bar start with MYST and finish with MYFN,and on the barchart only show this custom bar.

It looks like data date is moving but the task stays unchanged,
but anyway when you F9, the task will move. this method is only hide the actual
Eugene K
User offline. Last seen 13 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
the whole idea of F9 is to status the schedule to the datadate. so any activity not started must move to or after the datadate depending on its relationships.

may i know why u want to F9 if you dont really want to "reschedule" the schedule?

maybe u just want to DRAW a line to indicate today’s date?