Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Error in WBS-Bar ???

7 replies [Last post]
Hannes de Bruyne
User offline. Last seen 1 year 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Maybe somebody can help me?

My project is organized according to WBS. A WBS-Bar gives the summary of my WBS-Group. So far so good. If there is a Hammock within this group, still no problem.
BUT if this hammock is related to an activity with an ACTUAL Finish, my WBS-bar ends at my project-end and not at the end of my bars or hammocks.

is this right or an error in P3 ????

Replies

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
One other caution. Don’t use Hammock activities under the WBS structure. That is: remove WBS codes from hammock activities.

I’ve noticed when you organise by WBS that some Hammock activities don’t appear (depsite filtering all activities) and that these hidden hammocks can throw out the WBS activitiy type.

Solution is, to orgranise by Activity Codes (rather than WBS) and then Filter all Hammocks, and null their WBS codes. Then re-organise by WBS structure and the WBS bars should better reflect the dates.
Jose Frade
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Hannes,
I had a similar problem with WBS bar extending till the end of the project.

It took me quite some time to discover why till I found it:
The hammocks had also a WBS code - I removed the code from the Hammock and the problem was solved, with the WBS bar showing the correct duration of contained activities.

I hope it helps.

BR
JMFrade
Hannes de Bruyne
Thank you

I think you mean Solution ID 1999324103355

"WBS-Activities were not designed to summarize "summary type"

This is called the "FIX" for the problem !!!!!!!
Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
There is an answer to this on the Primavera knowledgebase.
Hannes de Bruyne
Although they could not solve the problem, thank you for first answers. Each idea is very welcome.

= The linking of the hammocks is checked more than once by several people. Normal Early Finish does not give this problem only Actual Finish. We checked this problem with 2 persons, each having about 10 yrs of experience with P3. Of course this does not mean that we are perfect, but I think most common errors such as wrong linking are recognized.

= Yes, I prefer WBS as well. The whole project works with WBS-Code and WBS-Bars. But in this case a hammock (for piling activities) combines 4 normal activities beeing in different WBS-Groups all around the project. I.e. that no WBS-Bar can combine those activities, only a hammock.
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I prefer use WBS instead of hammock. you do not need to link it to other activities with logic, and you do not need to worr y about out-of-sequence when updating the schedule
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
This ‘error’ is usually the result of improperly relating the hammocks. Check to see that all hammock predecessors are Start-to-start and than all successors are Finish-to-finish. Improperly coded hammocks default to starting on the data date and finishing on project completion. Good luck!