Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Windows Vista

2 replies [Last post]
Sean Keegan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
According to Microsoft, the latest Windows OS, "Vista", will not run 16 bit app’s (like P3 3.1). This could be the end of life as we know it, except that I’m sure there are all sorts of workarounds.

Does anyone know of a workable solution for running P3 under "Vista"?

Sean

Replies

Sean Keegan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Ron;
Thanks for that reassurance. I got the incompatibility impression first from our friends at Primavera (surprise!). That prompted me to check Microsoft’s online KB which gives the same impression. However, now that I look closer I notice that there is nary a mention of any 32-bit version of the OS nor its affinity with 16-bit applications.
Much as I see benefits to P3e/c in the mega-corporate environment, for regular owners, contractors, or folks like me that make a living out of de-constructing and comparing families of schedules, the new P3 is a nightmare. In the expectation that my bigger clients will soon be using it, I’ve tried very hard to love it, but so far nothing seems to work for me. Fortunately, I have yet to come across a single schedule that is in P3e/c or v5.
Sean
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
This rumor is so old that I could not find the thread to reference. In short, no worries. Vista is like all Microsoft products; long on promises and short on delivery. The desktop version of Vista will be 32-bit and will run P3 just fine. The server version will not run P3. Cheers!