Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

EXPORTING & IMPORTING DATA

3 replies [Last post]
saif ansari
User offline. Last seen 18 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
DEAR ALL

I AM A NEW P3 USER, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE PROCEEDURE OF EXPORTING DATA FROM P3 TO EXCEL AND IMPORTING BACK THE SAME FROM EXCEL TO P3. PLEASE HELP ME WITH EXAMPLES.

THANKS.

Replies

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 30 weeks ago. Offline
The easiest way to import and export most data to a P3 schedule is to open the schedule with SureTrak and use cut and paste.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Saif,

When you want to import/export, let Primavera create the file for you (this saves you a lot of headache).

1. Tool, Project Utils, Export.
- you can choose if you want to export RELATIONSHIPS or Activity Data.
- If you choose Act Data (Contents of List), simply choose which field you want.
- Remember to set Act ID to 48, otherwise it will be truncated.
- Format Tab: Select which FILE format you want. Lotus is ok for small import/exports. If it’s a large file, DBF is more stable. Caution for DBF: You can’t add data under the last row - you need to insert rows before the last row if you need more rows.
- Selection: if you want to export all activities, keep this empty.

2. You can then open the resulting file in Excel. Remember to specify the file type in excel or you wouldn’t see you file listed when you Open File in Excel.

Try this. If you have any problem, please describe it in detail so I can reply.

Good luck.

Jorge
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
You can create the examples for yourself. Open your schedule, go to Tools / Project Utilities / Export. Pick one of the sample exports that says to export to a spreadsheet. Try running the report and noting the results.

Note 1: You export to Lotus 1-2-3 files with the .WK1 extension. Don’t worry, Excel and read this.

Note 2: You must export and then import with the ’headers’ on your spreadsheet intact. Do not change or delete them. This is how P3 knows what the data represents.

Good luck!