Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Regarding Target file

25 replies [Last post]
sunil kumar
User offline. Last seen 14 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have a query regarding target and current schedule.... I had created a target file before updating......

If i want to do any changes.. for example i want to add extra duration for a particular resources of a activity then i have to do it in my cuurent schedule or target file.. where i have to do changes???

Replies

Daison Garvasis P...
User offline. Last seen 13 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
I guess this thing cant be generalised. It depends on the scenario.

1) If the changes are addition in scope, it could be worthwhile to come to an agreement with client and incorporate the additional scope.
2) If the changes are to the durations and relations of the existing activities it depends on how you want to go about it. Either you leave your baseline as it is and change the current project only in which case you are not comparing apple to apple.
or you discuss and decide to revise the baseline so that when you are tracking the progress, there is difference in the durations and relationships in target and current project.
One has to really see what suits your project.
dinishwar singh
User offline. Last seen 16 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
thanks christian, got my files to open
dinishwar singh
hello christian

not getting to open the project at all..

message "Target project not found"

this is standard with p3, however i tought there was a way to get around this.

meaning , if there is a folder with all the current project p3 files and the target p3 files , if the target files for that project were deleted and an attempt to open the current project files gives the above error "Target project not found"
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Dinishwar,

you could go to file> Project overview> select the tab "Target" then remove the target file that was already been deleted... then open your current project and see if it works..

HTH

Christian
dinishwar singh
Good Day

my target files were deleted and i want to open my current project, is there anyway i will be able to do this
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Sen,

Best regards too.
Sen Moc
User offline. Last seen 18 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Edgar,

It’s nice to know that you are already interested in planning. But it seems that you have a long way to go. So, if you’re really into it why not just REREAD the thread and find the answers to your questions?

Best regards,
Sen
Edgar Ariete
Ok Sen,

Isn’t your target your original plan? And everything you are trying to figure out is within that plan? Then how are you going to realise that? Create your current plan & compare where?
Sen Moc
Ok, Edgar. The subject will now shift a bit…

Performance can be measured and monitored in two ways: by SPI (Schedule Performance Index) and by CPI (Cost Performance Index), also known as Earned Value Management or EVM. In SPI you compare Planned Schedule vs. Actual; while in CPI you compare Planned Cost (or Resources) vs. Actual.
Edgar Ariete
Sen,

How do you consider performance as actually planned? And things that turned out not the way you planned it? I mean how do you compare both?
Sen Moc
Sunil,

If your resources is more than Planned, you can either increase the Resource or the Duration. In either case, you will be OVER BUDGET (accept this!) because your planned budget is not enough or the planned productivity is high and your actual productivity is low.

If budget is your concern is Budget, you should have a higher productivity than planned. That is, pressure the men and make the equipments do more work at site. This however will be the PM’s job, not yours.

Regards,
Sen
sunil kumar
Sen

That was a nice explaination.. thanx alot....

i had a query regarding tracking

1. If my resources exceeds than what i planned ( consider the type of activity is task) then i have to change it in resouces or not... coz my budget is going to increases...
where i have to do changes???

Sen Moc
Sunil,

Here’s a direct answer on your post No.3:

I mean once i created a target file( baseline of current schedule) whatever i do i have to do it in currrent schedule ?? Am i right????

Yes, you are correct.
In P3, the current schedule is kinda your working file. Changes, progress updates, revisions, etc – you do it in Current Schedule.

If i had to update my target file i have to do it from update command????Am i correct...

Yes, you’re correct again BUT “be cautious in choosing the update options” (Tool/Project Utilities/[Select Target]/Update) – if you’re not careful, there’s a possibility that your Target schedule might be made equal to the Current Schedule (unless you’re progress is on schedule). In this case always keep a back-up copy of your target file before updating it.

Another way, and it’s the safer way, is to open the Target file separately. Make a copy or back-up file. Then, do the updations on the copied Target file. Once the copied Target is finalized and updated, you can now replace the existing Target of your current schedule by the Updated Target.

Again, a reminder: DO NOT UPDATE TARGET (or Baseline Schedule) UNLESS NECESSARY.

Regards,
Sen
Edgar Ariete
Guys,

Where are you now? Are you ahead, or behind? Or are you working on your recovery plans?

Oh, by the way, there are 10 variations coming up.
Sen Moc
That’s why in P3 you are given the chance to create two (2) Targets.

Target 1 – you can store the original baseline schedule (as per contract).
Target 2 – you can store the revised baseline schedule or your calculated schedule during the previous updating period.

And there’s another way to add Target 3, if Target 1 & 2 were already utilized, by using Custom Data Items.

Regards,
Sen
Christian Adrian ...
Hello Edgar,

If you have read the whole thread I certainly hoped that you’ve gotten the whole picture... you never update you BASE programme (unless your going for a revision) only the CURRENT programme (for schedule comparison)...

HTH..

Christian
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Sunil,
for upadating target, you can use update command,or you can open the target file and make changes
Zhang Haixiang
Sunil,

for updating target,
Edgar Ariete
Christian,

If you’re not going to update your target plan, how are you going to compare it with your current plan? (i mean in terms of physical progress)
sunil kumar
thanx alot!!

Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Sunil,

I agree wholeheartedly with the above.

Just one more thing to offer:

It may be that at some time the change to the plan is so significant that the client wants a new baseline to measure the Plan against (... am waiting for Clive and Oscar to wake up and shout at me...). In this case, make a copy of your first Baseline, assign that Copy as Target1 (with a new title e.g. Revised Baseline..) and update changes on Baseline through your working programme.

Note: This exercise is really only for when Snr Mgmt or the Client request a Change to the measurement Baseline. You must still maintain the original Baseline for Reference or in the event of Claims etc.
Christian Adrian ...
Sunil,

There’s no need for you to update your target file (Baseline of your current file) coz that’s the original plan from the time you have submitted it to your client (if have submitted and accepted by your client), if you have to make some changes then do it in your current file (just like what Zhang said..),as this should reflect all the progress of your project..

Just to add some thought..

Regards,

Christian

Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Sunil,

Have you submitted the baseline schedule to your consultant.

a) If Yes! Then your updated target schedule become your Revised Baseline Schedule. Submit to consultant for approval.
b) If No! Update the target schedule and submit as a Baseline Schedule to consultant for approval.

Regards.
sunil kumar
I mean once i created a target file( baseline of current schedule) whatever i do i have to do it in currrent schedule ?? Am i right????

If i had to update my target file i have to do it from update command????Am i correct...
Zhang Haixiang
It’s up to you. Do you want to include this change in target?
target is a baseline for comparison with current schedule.
If you want to show this variance then change current schedule, otherwise change both target and the current