Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Converting Activity Codes to WBS

10 replies [Last post]
Efren Jr Nuguit
User offline. Last seen 1 year 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

by chance can anyone help me convert Activity Codes to WBS?

any existing software to use?

Thanks 

Regards

Efren

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 6 days ago. Offline

Conversion of activity codes to WBS is easy with Spider Project, please see slide 6.

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Efren,

As far as I'm aware there are no products available that automatically can do this, and as you've noted the SDK, that would've been the tool to use, is no longer compatible. 

There are two major issues you have to overcome with this requirements

1) Creating the WBS structure. You need to create a Hierarchical structure that accounts for each combination of Activity codes used throuhout the project, and then you have to figure out a way to create this as a WBS structure within P6. Given that your contractor is supplying you an XER file, this means you need to be able to repeat the above steps for EACH update you receive, and each project will have its own unique Root WBS ID.

2) Even after you've created the WBS structure, you then need to assign each and every activity in the schedule to an element of the WBS, now granted this might be easier done in EXcel and then imported, again you need to complete this step for every update received.

What is the purpose of wanting a WBS? I understand there are some functions within P6 that are performed at a WBS level, such as Earned Value, Portfolio reporting and even security profiles (responsible mangers). But are you actually using these features?

If the intention is wanting to compare projects, why not request the contractor create the Activity codes at a Global level, that way you can open multiple projects, group/sort by those Global activity codes, and include PROJECT as one of the grouping bands so you can still dstinguish which project you're viewing.

Just trying to understand what the benefit gained is for the effort of converting to WBS?

Efren Jr Nuguit

Thanks for your Comments.

really appreciate you insights between Actrivity codes and WBS.

but in this case i am refering to Activity codes to convert to WBS,

our current EPC contractor manage to create the schedule (15K activities) through activity codes, my current Master schedule is in WBS setup..merging and said programme will be difficult if recoded manually.

So i gusessed someone can hlp me on these or might recommend any Software...

i tried the SDK but no linger compatible thru 64bit.

thanks

regards

Efren

Efren Jr Nuguit

Thanks for your Comments.

really appreciate you insights between Actrivity codes and WBS.

but in this case i am refering to Activity codes to convert to WBS,

our current EPC contractor manage to create the schedule (15K activities) through activity codes, my current Master schedule is in WBS setup..merging and said programme will be difficult if recoded manually.

So i gusessed someone can hlp me on these or might recommend any Software...

i tried the SDK but no linger compatible thru 64bit.

thanks

regards

Efren

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Vladimir,

The use of a WBS to granulate a project such that Project Planning, Costing and Finance can use a common summary of the underlying activities is a very good thing, but P6's WBS structure is just the wrong place for it. Most large contracts, in my experience, are best described in P6 as a portfolio of projects, rather than a single project. This makes P6's WBS code pretty useless. I have a couple of clients who map SAP's WBS to a P6 Global Activity code, which I think us best practice for users of P6 and SAP. I like SAP's position that the project belongs to the WBS, rather than P6's position that the WBS belongs to the project.

The control over Earned Value and Forecast to completion that the WBS code enables in P6 is very useful, but has never required, in my experience, to use the whole granulation of a WBS. I currently have no clients that use more than one such setting per project.

S. I currently have no clients that use more than one such setting per project.

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 3 days 5 hours ago. Offline

Before worrying about converting activity codes to a WBS you really need to apprciate what a WBS is and how it is structured, then if the codes fit the structure of a WBS the process is simple. 

To understand what a WBS is and how WBS function see: https://mosaicprojects.com.au/PMKI-PBK-015.php#Process3

David,

but let's suppose that using activity codes another WBS was created. I see the main difference between grouping by activity codes and corresponding WBS in keeping the history, ability to compare current values of WBS element parameters with the baseline or previous values, Earned Value application to WBS elements.

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Valdimir,

WBS is project specific in P6.  You only find out how awful that is, after some time as a user

Santosh,

WBS is keeped in the project history. It is possible to compare current status of WBS element with the baseline status, apply Earned Value analysis, etc.

What advantages suggest grouping by activity codes? Why do you consider them much more useful?

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

The better question is why? Activity codes are much more useful than P6's WBS..