Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Non Labour Resource - Default Units of Time

6 replies [Last post]
J OBrien
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

I have a question regarding a non-labour resource as per the screenshot below:

Resource ID: WAGON BAL 1 represents the ballast wagons that are used to freight the ballast to the rail project site. The price unit for this resource is set at a daily hire rate of $225.00/d in the resources section (I'm unsure as to why it is displaying as $675.00/d in the screenshot).

In terms of the resource details, it is set as a non-labour resource (therefore no unit of measure can be assigned), with a 12hrs/7d per week calendar and a default units / time setting of 10.00hr. 

All activity durations within these schedules are hourly (If you're wondering why the original duration in the screenshot is 0.02, it's because there are no labour resources assigned to this activity - they are baked into the unit price of the non-labour resources i.e. train drivers). I will create a dummy resource with no value to enable a 10hr duration to be assinged to the activity.

My question is, even though the resource has been created with a daily unit rate, how can I apply that in the total cost field - for example, 20 wagons x $225.00p/d = total costs of $4500.00?

Cheers,

Jesse

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

The following references might be of interest for those using P6.  I do not use it but at times have to deal with P6 schedules by others, so it is good to know.

My Settings #02: P6 Duration Unit & Date Format

Understanding How P6 Works

Some people like to display durations in days, others in hours.  My preference is to display durations as well as float values in both units as to showcase how durations in days can be so misleading.

Complex-Calendars

Float-Days-Vs-Hours

Best Regards,

Rafael

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

not true your unit that you are meanuring is durations number of days you said $225 PER DAY

this is just math

your duration is 3 days 

3 days times $225per day =$675

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Jesse,

Time can be set to Day. IN the User Preferences, Under Unit Format set the Time Units and Duration Format to Day.

Hope this will Help.

J OBrien
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Raymund,

Thanks for your response. I understand that the unit of measure is time based and based on your response it looks like that the 'time' can only be hourly based. I'm surprised that this can't be set as daily time.

Cheers,

Jesse

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

Staffing and rentals are issues a Project Manager must plan and mange.  Staffing and equipment rentals must follow the schedule, usually it is not fixed by pre-determined dates/Time.  Resource schedules are not feasible if not leveled.  Cost of idle resources must be considered within the cost model for it to be reliable.

Cost-of-idle-resorces-02jpg-Page1

Cost for Resource A = 7$/hr when idle & 10$/hr when in use.  Resource A availability is 5 ea during the rental period.

After looking at the schedule resource usage even a rookie PM would schedule to return 2 resources A after Activity 2 finishes.  For such a simple schedule making the descicions is easy, but this is not always the case.

Resource-Production-01

Cost-of-idle-resorces-03jpg-Page1jpg-Page1

Best Regards,

Rafael

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Jesse,

Non-Labor Resources has a unit of measure as time.

Budgeted Units = 20 Wagons x 12 hrs / day = 240 hrs / day

Price per Unit = $225 / day  divide 12 hrs / day = $18.75 / hr

Budgeted Cost = 240 x $18.75 = $4500

Hope this will help.