Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera V8.4 Out of Bounds error

6 replies [Last post]
Terry Cameron
User offline. Last seen 8 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am trying to link 2 simple activities together on a straight "FS" relationship, the problem I am getting is that the following error comes up. I have tried copying the program, Export / Import, and even delete / re-create the activities (which are in different WBS's), but still have the same issue with these two activities. Is anyone able to explain it, as a lot of the other re-sequencing I have done around them has worked successfully.

Type:            EListError

Event Code:   LIOOB-2265-7

Description:   List index out of bounds (3) 

Terry

Replies

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Tariq, sorry I don"t have answer to your question as I don't have P6. I just want to clear-out the original post of Terry and his own solution for the benefit of others who still perhaps don't understand the use of "Progress Override" and "Retained Logic".

Terry's issue is a classic example of an originally wrong logic or schedule (or perhaps not actually followed logic) that was overriden by actual progress, therefore, the occurence of the loop. He got the error everytime he clicks F9 as he had the "Progress Override" setting. Meaning, that the "Progress Override" setting or actual progress don't know how to Lie, thus, you need first to fix the problem before you can proceed or run the progressed schedule (simply due to a wrong logic, overriden by actual progress). 

Now, of course originally, you need the "Retained Logic" setting for your plan or schedule (simply because you have not yet started your project, therefore there's no actual data to consider). Again, actual data don't Lie, or can never be twisted (unlike Theory). 

I hope I had explained a bit clearly now (otherwise, sorry for my English). 

To continue, in order to fix the problem, of course you need to know where it emanates from. Therefore, going back to the original schedule or setting of "Retained Logic" (as what Terry did). From there, he sees exactly why the error happened, of course because of the wrong logic overriden by actual progress. 

Once the problem is fixed, then again, you have a fresh-progressed schedule. In my opinion, (from here) you may use either of the settings, depending on your evaluation, but then again, once new actual data comes, it may or may not deviate from your logics. So I guess you already know what to do? Hope this helps.

I have the following code error"VTDCF-2861-0" while copying the Project and basleine from one ERP to another...Please anyone let me know about this.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Just another fine real life example of why NOT to use "Progress Override" 

Rolly Catingan
User offline. Last seen 4 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

Terry, thanks you so much! This made my day. I just resolved my P6 issue because of your post. Happy Holidays to you!

- Rolly

Terry Cameron

Folks, I have beem able to resolve the issue myself.

The "out of bounds" error simply means that there is a illegal LOOP dependency structure, but you will not know that unless you have "Retained Logic" ticked in the Options section when you do an "F9" to update the program. My program uses "Progress Override", so I changed it as follows

• F9
  • Options
  • retained logic
  • Schedule
  • Found the dependency issue
  • Exit Schedule
  • resolved dependency
  • F9
  • Options
  • Progress Override
  • Schedule
Terry Cameron

This error is now occurring more frequently to such an extent that an "F9" does not work, and you have to back track your changes, and this can be difficult when there are a lot of changes being made.