Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Shift resources

1 reply [Last post]
wilson reyes
User offline. Last seen 10 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

I'm involve in Turnaround scheduling and I've got this problem with operations resources. In ops, we have day shift (6pax) and night shift (2pax) resources and we need to work around this constraint and level the resources.

My problem is when I assign the two resource to an activty (assigned both of them cause we won't know what exact time the activity may fall under when we change logics), both resource registers the same manhours (please see image below).

On the example below, the manhours should only register to day shift resource (9am to 3pm). Note that resource calendar has been modified specific for day shift (8am to 8pm) and night shift (8pm to 8am the next day).

5.jpg

Also, this problem shows up in the resource leveling

Day shift before leveling

1.jpg

Night shift before leveling

2.jpg

DAY SHIFT AFTER LEVELING

3.jpg

NIGHT SHIFT AFTER LEVELING

4.jpg

If you've noticed, when I leveled both the resources, it followed the night shift constraint (which is correct because it is the lesser between the two) but what I'm trying to achieve is for the system to follow the constraint in the day shift (6pax) and night shift (2pax) which, in this case, was not followed. Note that the current practice in our side is to average the resource which is okay but doesn't really show the true picture on site.

How can I work around this? Will greatly appreciate any suggestion you guys can give and thank you in advance!

Many Thanks,

Wilson

Replies

Hi Wilson,

if you need shift work simulation look at Spider Project. Other packages don't do it correctly.

Best Regards,

Vladimir