Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Creating A log entry explaning the reason of deleted activties in updated schedule

7 replies [Last post]
yousuf khan
User offline. Last seen 11 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear sir,

While updating the schedue i had deleted some of the activities from Primaver P6 schedule.   I want to create a LOG showing the reason of delted activites from my schedule.

Could you please help me to do this work.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 days 1 hour ago. Offline

"A log entry shall be made explaining the deletion of activities"

It means a record or listing of all activity deletions that shall include an explanation of why activities were deleted. The explanation, or reasons why for the deletions cannot be automatically generated by the computer. Some deletions will be because a change in scope of work, because of a change directive, because of revised drawings, because of unforeseen events or even because of a change in plans for whatever reason. Usually such logs are sorted in chronological order, similar to the construction daily log.

One alternative is to keep the log as a separate document and the other is to keep the log as part of the schedule files. I would prefer to keep it as a separate document and use suggested methodology that can be adapted to any scheduling software as to make sure no single deletion is missed, kind of an audit trail of your CPM file activity deletions.

If you choose to keep the log as a separate file you can use Excel to make the log in a tabular form, in such case I would include the following columns; date of deletion, schedule version, deleted activities ID and Description/Name, reason for deletion and added activities ID and Description/Name. It would be better if all parties agree to the final format of the log to keep the spirit of teamwork. Go for a team response, not empty handed but with a suggested table.

If choosing to keep the log as part of the schedule file I would add the same columns as if using Excel through a user defined field for every column. I would populate the values under the rows of the Deletion Milestones.

For me it is easier to format and distribute the log using Excel. In addition not everyone will have access to the CPM software but many of the equally important members of the team that need to know will have access to Excel. .

Good luck.

yousuf khan
User offline. Last seen 11 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear sir,

I had deleted the activities and submit my schedule of more than 5500 activiteis to client in the month of feburary 2013.  After reviewing my schedule client request me to explain the reason of deletion of activites in a log entry.

I am using Primaver P6 schedule please explain me who to create  a log entry for Activities deleted. For your kind information  please find below request of client

"A log entry shall be made explaining the deletion of activities".

Rafael Davila

Just in case, a word of caution,

Please take note I am suggesting to delete the activities and create new ones to make sure no cost or resource loading is left as well as to make sure nothing is linked to the dummy milestones that replace the deleted activities.

I would avoid the temptation to edit the activities to convert them into the dummy milestone, not even because of the cross reference to unique identifier you might keep if you do not delete the original. I prefer to play it safe.

I would like to add that it will be convenient to move the milestones to a WBS band of their own as they will impact whatever WBS band they are assigned.

Best regards,

Rafael

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 35 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Raphael,

Completely agree with Gary -- great idea! And will greatly facilitate ABCP analysis. Thanks!

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

Good idea, Rafel. -I hadn't thought of that before.

...Although I suspect doing this may lead to some erronous earned value metrics. I'll check when I get a chance.

Rafael Davila

5) Just after deleting each activity create a new milestone with the same activity code/ID. The milestone shall be updated with actual date equal to the deletion date.

• This will prevent you from duplicating activity codes that can be misleading when comparing against baselines.
  • This will allow you to see baseline bars of the activity for baseline/comparison schedules that included the activity no longer available.
  • This will allow you to compare activity fields against prior versions that will include data on the deleted activities that will otherwise will not be visible. With the creation of user defined fields and filters you shall be able to make useful comparison reports.

How to organize it shall be your call based on your needs and capabilities of your software. I use software that can use unlimited WBS structures/dictionaries so at a single click I can make them appear/disappear, if excluded from WBS structure, at a single click of the mouse.

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

There are a number of ways to do this. The 4 methods I have used are:

1) Add a notebook topic to the deleted activity in the baseline version of the project

2) Add a notebook topic to the wbs element which the deleted activity belonged to (in the updated schedule)

3) Keep a seperate change control log (typically in Excel), and note it here

4) As with number 3, but attach the log to the Primavera programme via Project menu > Work Projects & Documents > right click > add

Which method to use depends largely on how you plan to access the information in the future.

Many projects will also have an overall change control log, often held by the QS or Project Manager. Sometimes it is possible to included notes from the primavera schedule in that doc, rather than storing them seperately.