Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

S-Curve equation?

10 replies [Last post]
Mohd Mahd
User offline. Last seen 16 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
how to create an equation for a progress S curve? for sure it will be 2nd degree one. possibly, no equation can do it, as it is some (mathematically) unrelated points. in P3 they offer curve types, but some times not enough! my regards Mohd

Replies

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

If you done some studies in Algebra or Engineering Mathematics, then, you must have encountered that for each series of points plotted in the x-y axis, an equation or formula (value of y for given value of x) can be generated.

The plan S-curve can readily produce an equation, however, for actual s-curve, the equation can only be good up to the actual values. The forcast or trends are usually unstable to the point that no reliable equation can be generated as the project progress till completion.

Cheers,

Charlie
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
There is an HTML mistake in the ANZPUG website. Use this link:

http://www.anzpug.org/documents/GrowthCurve.ppt

This use of the term "S Curve" is very different from its usual understanding in construction and other types of projects, isn’t it? Dr FJ Bromilow of the CSIRO in Australia examined several hundred construction projects of different types and derived the shape of the "typical" construction S curve with time as a function of cost and the way to generate it. Perhaps I can find it.
Rahul Mulik
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline
Colin,
I tried to access the Power point presentation for S Curve u posted, but the attachement was not in readable format.
Can u please help me out for this.

Cheers & Regards,
Rahul.
David Ahlgren
User offline. Last seen 21 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Is there a simple way to use an S Curve in a Spreadsheet to show the effect of an adoption rate on the total members in a community
Mohd Mahd
thanks for ur reply. unfortunately, this what i received, ................. (This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed. jdyer@qal.com.au ................. it looks there's a problem in the email. u have any explanation?
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
We used an equation on my last job If you email Jeff Dyer at QAL Gladstone jdyer@qal.com.au you will get a copy of the equation Alan D
Mohd Mahd
DEEPLY thanks. u r always great. in appreciation to this info, i really do not know what to say or what to do.
Colin Cropley
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Mohd Here is a website references that gives a formula for S-Curves: http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/3960/normalsx.html (Integral formula) I will post a Powerpoint presentation (GrowthCurve.ppt(~280k) at www.anzpug.org/resources/Useful.htm which you can download if you wish.
Mohd Mahd
pls look at it as a what if (for the curve only). yet, i am looking for the possiblity. what could be the area under curve. some questions... analysing a S curve will help, analysing its project progress, along with its basis of, weight factor, importance, manhour,....etc.
Colin Cropley
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Mohd Please explain why you need an equation for an S-curve. The S-curve is normally the cumulative sum of the periodic (=daily, weekly or monthly) planned manhours or costs in a schedule.