Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

WBS schedule % is not showing

8 replies [Last post]
Ahmed Ali
User offline. Last seen 1 year 19 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi everyone

my problem is simply: I have created a project & added the resources with labor/nonlabor units without cost as per client standard

however when started updating porgress, I notice that only the activities is shoawing the schedule % & the wbs is remain 0% evern if the activiy shedule is 100%

Looking forword your support to solve it 

Replies

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
That's good news Ahmed. That means no conflict between our Dummy resource priced at $1.00, and the real resources which are not priced. In conversation with your clients, do not use the word 'cost' - say 'weighting'! That is what you are doing, not applying cost, just using P6's costing abilities as a mechanism to weight the activities.
Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 25 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

copy the schedule and do as David said apply a dummy resource and use that

Ahmed Ali

I appreciate you fast respose david

Unfortunatly, I can not even add unit price or dummy resources ti my baseline since the client standard to not show any cost in the schedule, this is the main issue I am facing !

The only solution I have come with is by creating project monitor sheet in excel to calculate the WBS schedule % from the unites   

David Kelly
Schedule % complete comes from the baseline. So, yes you can have it represent units or time BUT you must make the changes in the baseline If you add a resource to each activity in the baseline, at the rate of one unit per unit time, and price that resource at $1.00, then Schedule % complete will represent units and time. A 20-day activity, for example, will have 20 units of resource and $20.00 units of cost. The difficulty is if you want to add the real cost of an activity. The best way to do this is to use two of the available five rates for each resource. One rate has the real price of the real resources (e.g. Fitter, $50.00 per hour) and $0.00 for our dummy resource, and the other rate has a price of $0.00 for all the real resources and $1.00 for the dummy resource. A single Global Change can change the rate used in all of a project’s resource assignments. Note that Global change does not work on Baselines! They have to be Restored first.
Ahmed Ali

thank you david for participating

I was thinking the same reason, but I prefered to askk the expert before I disscusse it with client 

have you face the same before ? is there any way to make wbscheduled % based on Units or time ?

Ahmed Ali

Thanks for your reply  & time sir

I have assigned the baseline, otherwise the activity % will not be 100 % & the same is don the other project without any problem

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 25 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

The Schedule % Complete indicates how much of the activity duration should be currently completed relative to the selected baseline. My guess is that you do not have a baseline attached. You have no measuring stick how could it possibly know how much is completed if it has nothing to measure against.

Its like going on a diet and say how much weight did I lose ? Well if you did not get on a scale to weigh yourself PRIOR to the diet you have nothing to measure against. 

David Kelly
Schedule (i.e. Baseline) % complete is based on cost. You have not priced resources OR there are no resources.