Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Units not getting updated when the Baseline is Assigned and schedule is progressed !

7 replies [Last post]
noufal k r
User offline. Last seen 4 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello Planning professionals,

When updating P6 schedule using Duration % complete, Units are not getting updated automatically. This issue exists when maintain & Assign baseline using "save a copy of project as new baseline" option is chosen. However the issue gets solved when I opted for " Convert another project to a new baseline of the current Project" option. Would like to know the root cause of the issue. Please help

Settings I used,

Project Defaults

Duration type: fixed duration and units

% complete type: Duration

Activity type: Task dependent

Project Calculations:

Recalculate Actual units and cost when duration % changes: Checked

Link Actual to date and actual this period units and costs: Checked

Link Budget and At completion for not started activities : checked

Resource Autocompute Actuals: Checked

Rest all settings are set to default.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 25 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

if you give me your email address I can send you the details that are in a pdf document 

noufal k r

Hi Zoltan,

Thank you for the detailed explanation regarding the application of various percent complete type in real scenarios. It was really helpful. 

noufal k r

Hi Raymund,

Refreshing didnt work. However when I closed the schedule and reopened , it started working. Thank you for your feedback.

noufal k r

Hi Alex,

It worked when I closed the schedule and re-opened. Thank you for sharing your valuable experience.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
It may need a refresh. Press F5. The database did not update immediately.
Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 25 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

The activity percent complete type is one of "Duration", "Units", or "Physical". The percent complete type controls whether the Activity % Complete is tied to the Duration % Complete, the Units % Complete, or the Physical % Complete for the activity. Set the percent complete type to "Duration" for activities which are duration driven, for example, administration tasks and training classes. Set the percent complete type to "Physical" for activities which are work-product driven, for example, creating a document or a product. Set the percent complete type to "Units" for activities which are work effort driven, for example, providing a consulting service.

so your % complete type should be physical % complete

also The Duration % of Planned is defined as The activity actual duration percent of planned. Computed as (Actual Duration / BL Duration) * 100. The value can exceed 100. The BL Duration is the activity's at complete duration from the current baseline.

this i why it is working when you attach a basleine.