Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Inactive WBS node

7 replies [Last post]
Alexandre Faulx-B...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

Hello fellow Pplanners,

I understand the purpose of making a project inactive; but, what about making inactive a WBS node when the whole project is active?

Thank you for any advice

Alexandre

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 17 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

ok that makes more sense dissolving an activitiy DELETES it and ites its predcessors to its successor it is gone so there is nothing to schedule. Making a wbs inactivity gives you the ablilty turn it off and on and make it park of the schedule  is you choose to.

Zoltan Palffy

that is incorrect making a wbs inactivie DOES NOT DISSOLVE THE WBS it is still there 

Zoltan Palffy

I never use it I guess if a wbs elemet is no longer necessary or is placed on hold you can make it inactive.

The only place where I see this being used is if you have a standard template setup for your projects. 

Let's say that you have submittals & reviews listed by ALL of the master specification number i.e. electrical is 26. 

so you have all of the specification sections listed as a standard in the wbs then for this particular project you do not have specification number 27 communications in your scope for this particular proejct then you can make this particualr wbs INACTIVE instead of deleting it.

I personally would delete it.  

Zoltan Palffy

you cant make a wbs inactive