Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

missing data while exporting-importing

4 replies [Last post]
Rachel Dorota
User offline. Last seen 10 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear all,

During either the export or import process from P6 in xer file, a substantial amount of the resources data (MHRS) is lost.That happens even when I reimport the file to my database.

When I copy – paste the schedule everything is ok. I assume that the problem is in the import since the export in excel is successful.

Any ideas?

regards

Replies

william chee
User offline. Last seen 10 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

try this, go to edit>user preferences>resource analysis and SELECT "Preserve the unit, duration and unit/time for existing assigments" and try to reimport the datas again.

Rachel Dorota
User offline. Last seen 10 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

Oliver,

in that project I have not assigned the same resource more than once in the same activity (no shifts) and I checked also the box in the bottom right and it is ticked "Resources can be assigned to the same activity more than once''.

regards

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 6 days ago. Offline

But how you solve the issue when you need to use the same resource on the same activity but on different shifts.

Say 10 carpenters from Monday to Friday while 20 carpenters on Saturdays because on Saturdays they will be available to work on the activity while during the regular week they will work on other activities? Of course there are many other reasons you might have to recur to multiple assignments. It might be than on same shift some of the same resource work full time while others work half time on the activity and the rest of the day on other activities. This type of assignments happen every day. 

Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine

If you have a resource assigned to the same activity multiple times, when you import the XER it only recognises the first assignment and therfore missess any others. Consequently the manhours when imported will be less.

Several companies i have done work for only allow planners to assign a resource once to an activity for this very reason. On the resources tab when in the Project screen, there is a tick box in the bottom right to toggle the ability to assign multiple resources.