Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Update Baseline in P6 - PLEASE HELP!!!

8 replies [Last post]
Sarah Sargeant
User offline. Last seen 6 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I am having problems updating a baseline in P6 and I need it completed urgently!!

I have a project, which has links to other projects and it is currently baselined. It has been recognised that some Engineering activities within the project were incorrect at the time of baselining and customer has given permission for certain activities in the schedule to be rebaselined (not all activities).

To do this I restored the baseline, made a copy and reimported the copy to the project as a baseline in order to keep the original baseline as well. I then used the copied baseline and used the update function. I created a filter for the activities I want to update and clicked update but the dates are not matching the current dates.

Can anyone advise why this isnt working?? Im tearing my hair out here, I dont know whether I am doing something wrong or whether it is just P6 not working??

Many thanks in advance of your reply.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

whne you selected update baseline what options did you choose there are many options. Make sure that under maintian baseline that you are pointing to the correct baseline. Same for assign baseline. 

Khuong Do
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I write an article regarding How to update Baseline in Primavera P6.

If you're interested, kindly read it here https://doduykhuong.wordpress.com/2016/09/06/how-to-update-baseline-in-primavera-p6/

Neil Hendry
User offline. Last seen 4 years 41 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Sarah,

I agree with the others here and tend not to use the baseline update function as you never quite know what its going to do.

Your best course of action (or what I would do) is to:

delete first updated baseline attempt

re-export baseline

Copy / Paste again

Re-import original

Open copy & manually update the dates to the required activities (making sure your logic doesn't affect the dates of activities that you want to remain constant) 

Import baseline

Assign baseline as required (Project / Primary / Secondary or wherever!)

You probably know all this already but hope it helps

Good luck

Neil

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

M_Frog_LOL_2 S_Frog_013_100.gif

photo Wrecking-Ball-720101_zps8f3801e1.gif

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Sarah

I have the same experience. Updating a baseline by selecting activities is not working correctly in P6. I have tried series of filters for selected activities, individual activities and in the most cases it did not work. In some, with updating only for resources it worked occasional. I have noted this issue with our Primavera seller but the issue is not resolved. So, i do not use this feature anymore. I note that P. Harris ones commented , that is what i remember, the the best way to wreck a schedule is to use the baseline update funtion.

Regards Johannes

Sarah Sargeant
User offline. Last seen 6 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks for your comments Gary and Ronald. I tried changing and not changing data date, neither of which made any difference and yes, I was assigning the baseline I wanted to view.

The confusion continues! I will be sure to let you all know if/when it is fixed in case it can be of help to others in the future.

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

Jane,

Another possibility is that you were not actually looking at the updated baseline.  You not only have to attach the baseline, you also need to assign them to one of the available slots (Project/Assign).  Finally, confirm that you are looking at the correct, ‘slot’.  Good luck!

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

Jane,

Did you change the data date when you used the update function? If not, you won't see any change.

In any event I would advise against using the update function for this.

Instead I would correct the logic in the baseline for the relevant engineering activities, or if this is not possible, use Start on or After constraints to ammend the dates to those agreed with the client.

Also, I would avise making a note against the relevant activities -either in the primavera file or in a seperate log, explaining what you have done & why, in case the baseline ever needs to be used for forensic/delay analysis.

Cheers,

G