Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Issues encountered converting MPP to MPX

5 replies [Last post]
Edgar Payos
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi PP,

I have a query.

I am not sure if this issue has been asked before and satisfactorily replied by members of PP.

Have you ever encountered an issue where all the activity bars turned (red) critical after converting it from mpp to mpx?

Seldom use MPP but I have basic knowledge of how it works.

Minor issues I came across with previously I managed to fix them.

This, one, however, is my first time to experience this kind of issue and I can't resolve it.

For those who have dealt with this problem, are you able to solve it?

Kindly share how ...?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Edgar

Replies

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi Edgar, likewise! I did post a link to the software tool I recommended, but it seems to have disappeared off the post. Is PP moderating posts now?

Edgar Payos

Hi Rodel,

Thanks for your reply.

Will review & check programme

Edgar Payos

Hi Santosh

Good to hear from you.

Will check that out.

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

If you need to move between MS Project and Primavera, save all your time and effort and get a software tool

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Edgar,

MPX is a text version (Microsoft Exchange File Format) of MPP. MSProject ver 2003 and below can save MPP to MPX. MSProject 2010 support MPX on read only but cannot save. Above MSProject 2010, MPX is no longer supported.

In your query, what is the problem? opening MPX to MSProject having all activities critical or importing to P6 having all activities critical?

If you are experiencing at P6 environment:

• Have you check the activity type? MSProject default is using Fixed Unit or Resource Dependent in P6. You may need to change it to Task Dependent activity Type.
  • Have you check if the task/activities are constrained? MSProject task is on manual mode, all of these activities are constrained when converted to P6.
  • Have you check critical calculation in P6? See if “Make open-ended activities critical” is ticked.
  • Check other options on critical activities and you find some abnormal settings like Float. It maybe greater than zero… etc.
  • Try to find some anomalies like your layout maybe filtered to critical, bar colour, etc…