Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Assigning constant resource quantity through whole duration of the activity

3 replies [Last post]
Danilo Bojovic
User offline. Last seen 4 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi guys!

I tried to look it up on forum, but it didn't work out for me.

My question is:"How to assign some particular resource to the activity without MSP distributing its quantity by number of days, but showing the assigned quantity every day of activity duration?"

In my particular case it is formwork with many different solutions which I count in pieces, but in the tasks with a different durations. Multiplying the quantity with number of days would solve the problem, but i would prefer more "elegant" solutions, because I have many repetitions with same/similar quantities, but different durations.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 4 hours ago. Offline

Assigning typical crews with a single selection we do with multi-resources.  At a single selection all members of the crew are assigned, if you need to make some adjustments for specific ativities just change the quantity or workload.

Assigning the same crew to many activities ( many repetitions with same/similar quantities, but different durations) one resource at a time is annoying.  Agree there must be an easier way in Microsoft Project.

Multi-resource

Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Danilo,

I am not sure I understood question 100%, but I think the answer may be to changing activity type to fixed units

https://www.mpug.com/articles/task-types-dont-get-frustrated/

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 4 hours ago. Offline

Microsoft Project only considers effort instead of resource quantities and effort. Resource quantity and effort units are not the same and must be defined using different units of measure. Resource Quantity might be 1 ea. For the same assignment effort units might be 24 man-hours if labor resource.