Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

move complex set of tasks/subtasks without losing the structured numbering

4 replies [Last post]
Dave Singleton
User offline. Last seen 13 years 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

I need to copy/move a complext set of tasks & sub task (many levels) under newly added task without losing the relative structured numbering.  Can't find it in the manuals.

I have Proj 2007.   I have been given a 1,000+ row plan, and need to move various chunks of the long plan into (under) new phase/task/subtasks.  When I expand all levels I had hoped to select all and paste them in to a blank set of rows, but I can't get the relative numbeing to be maintained.  My alternative is to print out the whole 1000 lines (done that) copy (and lose the numbering) and then correct the numbering offsets based on the print out (tedious, don't want to do that). 

There must be a better way! 

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

Copy the relative numbering you want to keep into a user defined field. Then you will be able to use the field to organize and sort.

If in the future you add activities use two decimal places to locate as much as 100 new activities between any whole number in the sequence that best fit your needs.

The problem with this method is that it allows for duplicates, using WBS does not. On the other hand it allows you to keep different relative numbering sets.

How do you prevent duplicates in MSP? I do not know.

How do you filter for duplicates in MSP? I do not know.

In addition to WBS you shall explore outline codes.

Kris Harry
User offline. Last seen 12 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Dave,

Do you mean for WBS codes.

Kris

Dave Singleton
User offline. Last seen 13 years 2 days ago. Offline

No Mukunda,

I have an old long and complex plan.  I have inserted at the top a new set of phase-names and top level tasks and second level tasks.  I need to cut the whole of an old discovery phase and paste it in a few tasks and off sets down, but I need the old part to auto-renumber according to the postion at which i paste it in.

Dave     

mukunda y
User offline. Last seen 10 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

Dave 

u mean u wan to keep the activity id same... if so it is not possible in MSP.

Mukunda