Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Customise Group By

5 replies [Last post]
Bryan Eaton
User offline. Last seen 8 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
In Project 2003, I am grouping by Construction Area - I have a Value List with code and description, currently the group by titles only show the description, can I get it to show the code and the description?

Replies

Colin Blair
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Bryan

Also, you could use the customised fields in MS Project.

Add Columns Text1, Text2 & Text 3 (Text 2 & 3 will have your data)

Right Click on Column Heading Text1

Select Customise Fields

Click Formula

Enter this formula

([Text2] & " - " & [Text3])

Click OK

Click OK

This will give you the concatenation like excell

Regards

Colin
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 30 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
HI Bryan

If you are going to put digits in front of the text make sure you use leading zeroes - 001 002 003 etc otherwise the sort function wont work.

If you are minded to add code text or numbers to your descriptions you can avoid a lot of typing by using the concatenation fetaure in excell.

Copy paste your description column into row a.
Type the leading text into row b
In row c place the formular +b1&a1 and copy down the row.

Copy paste row c back to your description column.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Ramil Hajizalov
Bryan,

It doest’n work the way you for. It could be only acsending or descending.
But I think it doest’n matter what is the sequence for B,A,D,C, in your exaple if B,A,D,C UNDER ONE TITLE "PHASE"
However,if you keen to get it, just put some digits in front of your descriptions. it would be like (1)ENGINEERING
(2)PROCUREMENT...etc

good luck.
ramil
Bryan Eaton
That absolutly works for my current situation, but I was trying to avoid having to do that.

Using the group by prefix gets it to group on the value list values correctly, but dosnt print the description and it dosnt appear you have any option to select wether you sort by row number, value or description.

You also have to go to great lengths to get the value list in the correct sequence, it seems the only place this is used is when you use the drop box in entering data.

seems there is something missing. Or I am missing something.

So now, to get ’Phase’ grouped, I have a value list of A, B, C, D etc with descriptions of "A - Engineering", B - Procurement", "C - Construction" etc. I have to match the prefix to group and sort by with the sequence I want it to appear. in the value list entry screen, you have to place the descriptions in the sequence you want them to appear by, for example I could place them in B, A, D, C sequence.

Seems redundant to have to repeat that sequence with text or numbers in a prefix and have to reconcile that sequence and now explain to schedule report recipients why you have these codes and what they all mean.

An occasion you may want the ’code’ in the value list to appear in a different sequence than alpha numeric is when your company has an established list of codes, that is not in alphanumeric sequence that you need to use on your project.
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline
How about just including the code (Value) as part of the description?

AAAXX - rest of description text