Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Filename into Project Summary Task

6 replies [Last post]
Sa S
User offline. Last seen 15 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi All,

Hope someone might have an idea about this...

I’d like to have the mpp project file name automatically populate into the Project Summary Task or an additional text column in the project plan.

Is this able to be done?

In excel I’d use the formula =FileName()

Thanks everyone :)

Replies

Sa S
Thanks LEN Lewis...I’ll give it a go.

Been very frustrated to see the option to save project 07 files as access databases.

Saving master projects in excel and reporting from that... this will help retaining filenames in the master file.
L.E.N. Lewis
User offline. Last seen 2 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Add the following VBA to your project file:

Private Sub Project_Open(ByVal pj As Project)
ActiveProject.ProjectSummaryTask.Name = ActiveProject.Name
End Sub

*Technically* this will always be 1 step behind any saves you make.

For example: if you save the file as ABC.MPP then the Properties field will not be updated until the NEXT time you open the file.

But this is actually a good thing because you can rename the file on the disk and then open it. When you open the renamed file, that renamed filename is used to populate the Properties field.
Sa S
Merci Alexandre.

Great idea...I just tried that but unfortunately the field becomes blank when I take the title out of the properties dialogue.

I’m using MSP 2007 & have found that this functions a little differently to the previous versions... and not always in a good way.

Any ideas about a function to place the filename into an added column like the Text1 column?

Many thanks again for your help. :)
Sa S
Thanks for getting back so fast LEN Lewis. :)

Sorry, I think you have missed my aim.

Making the Project Summary Task is not the problem. I can create a template file with that option checked in the tools>options>view tab.

The difficult bit for me, is to have a method of forcing the Project Summary Task to automatically reflect the mpp project "filename".

If this isn’t possible, perhaps I could customise a text field in the project plan to automatically place the mpp filename in line with all of the tasks down the project plan.

The reason I’m trying to do this to manipulate the data out of a master project plan for reporting. Each child project would have a different filename against the task descriptions.

Hope this makes sense everyone. :)
L.E.N. Lewis
User offline. Last seen 2 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
For a new project file:

File > New
create your file
File > Save
The next time you open your file:
Tools > Options > View-tab
Put a check mark in "Show project summary task" and you’ll see that it’s there.

For an existing project file:
File > Properties > Summary-tab > Title-field

Given that you have to type something in Excel to have the file name appear, the "new project file" approach is significantly more efficient to propagate the filename to the Project Summary Task and the "existing project file" is just 3 clicks away.