Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Task Summary Name field in Task Views (MSP2007)

4 replies [Last post]
Tony McClennon
User offline. Last seen 23 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I'm trying to create a view showing tasks that are in work or due to start over the next three months, but leaving the summary tasks in makes the view quite confusing. I am trying to show the summary task name in a separate filed alongside the task name. Currently, the solution I have is to use a test field and manually copy the summary task names into it.

However, just wondering if it is possible to make the "Task Summary Name" field available in the Task Views? In MSP2007, it appears to be only available in the Resource Views.

Many thanks.

Replies

Tony McClennon

Many thanks for looking at the macro - job done!!!

Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 51 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Tony,

I just had few minutes free and has written such a Macro.

I have tested it in MS Project 2003 and works. It is ready to use (just copy and paste it to the right place)

=================================================

Sub SetSummaryTask()

' This function sets the Text1 field of every task

' to a name of it's immediate parent

Dim tsks As Tasks

Dim t As Task

Set tsks = ActiveProject.Tasks

For Each t In tsks

If Not t Is Nothing Then

t.Text1 = t.OutlineParent.Name

End If

Next t

End Sub

=================================================

Tony McClennon

Thanks for the link - will give it a try and fingers crossed I can make it work!!

Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 51 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Tony,

the only solution I can think of is to write a Macro in Visual Basic for Applications, which would walk throught all tasks and would fill in the custom field with the name of the summary task, using the OutlineParent Property of a task.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/aa207578(v=office.11).aspx

Regards.

Evgeny