Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MppToMpx conversion tool

7 replies [Last post]
Ray Messinger
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
There is a utility that will do the conversion from mpp to mpx. It is very simple. Once converted P3e has no problem importing the mpx.

It can be found at:

http://www.projectstatus.com/pub/

Replies

Dennis Hanks
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Ray;

My question was how much of the MSP outline structure gets converted to WBS. With ’ganttproject’ this conversion stops at the activity level, so that costs can only be collected at the parent level or it becomes necessary to populate the WBS - a tedious process.

If other conversion tools fully populate the WBS (at the activity level) then they become of some interest. If not ,then I have no reason to ever get a copy of MSP (not a fan). I used to have to install and then remove an evaluation copy of MSP to convert some of the MSP schedules that I would occassionaly come across.

I am becoming a fan of P5 - via Contractor 5, and recognize the importance of a fully populated WBS. Right now this opensource program becomes an acceptable alternative, if the other tools do not do more with the WBS.
Ray Messinger
Dennis,

Not sure what you want. P3e uses a relational DB so the activity’s WBS is a reference to the separate WBS table.

You could copy the msp WBS to a text field then map that on import to a P3 field.
Dennis Hanks
Brad & Ray;

How much of a WBS is created after using the tool? I do not have a copy of MSP on my machine, so I am using the import/export function of ’ganttproject’. Works great accept for the WBS - the activities are not assigned a WBS number.

Just wondering if the conversion tool created a ’full’ WBS. Manually developing a full WBS is tedious, at best.

Note: I have only tested ’ganttproject’ on MSP 2003 and earlier schedules.
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 10 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
am assuming p5 does not import MSP 2007 without this conversion tool??

regards

brad
Ray Messinger
The name of the tool is MppToMpx.exe. I am using it to import mpp’s into P3e 5.0.

I have msp2007. Works for me!
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 10 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
hi guys

you need MSP 98 to be able to save as an MPX format,

regards

brad
Dennis Hanks
Ray;

Doesn’t this utility require a relevant (same version or later) copy of MSP on your machine?