Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Date Format Keeps Changing

6 replies [Last post]
Mark Chapman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am using MSP2003 but whenever i change my date format under Options for one project it remains at the same setting for the next project I open. I understand this setting is a personal preference but some projects are planned in hours and others are planned in days. I don’t want to keep changing the format per project. Am I doing something wrong? Or is their a workaround?

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

Mark Chapman
Hi Alexandre,

> this is a MS Project level option

What do you mean by this?

Cheers,

Mark

PS I usually use P3 but our client wants us to use MSP. I don’t think my company will pay me for a training course as I am a contractor here and they treat us like scum!
Mark Chapman
Thanks Will & Alexandre. I have looked at both of your replies and they have enlightened new options hidden in the depth of MSP. However, it appears I didnt explain the problem well enough.

I have 2 projects open at the moment using the gantt view displaying es & ef dates. One plan is is a long term plan and thus want the date format as dd-mmm-yy (say) whilst the other plan is a shutdown and I need to see the above date in hours eg dd-mmm-hh say.

Now when I go to one of the projects and change the format using Tools, Options, View and Date Format. However, the other project now has the same format which I don’t want to change. This makes no difference if one of the project’s is closed and the re-opened.

So I want a project to keep its own date format rather than be person specific. I hope that helps.
Will Russell
User offline. Last seen 11 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
If you open a new project, create exactly all of the conditions you want, then using the "Organizer" copy this view to your global project it should then pick that up when you next start a new project. I haven’t tested this but it sounds as though it should work!