Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Common Resource and Task Fields

5 replies [Last post]
Tony McClennon
User offline. Last seen 23 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

I am trying to set up a text field which will enable me to use the content to extract certain information in both the task and resource sheet views.

However, although I have entered information into a text field whilst in the gantt chart view, the information does not appear in the same field when in the resource usage view.

Is there a text(or other) field that will store the same information in both views? I don’t want to copy the data across the two views, as this would mean that I would have to do this every time I added a new task.

Any assistance gratefully received!!

Replies

Tony McClennon
I guess that this separate fields in both task and resource modes is the cause of the problem.

I can get partial success in either mode by using either the Resource Usage view and grouping by resource group(but this will not allow me to further group by the two work packages that are involved), or by using a task view and grouping by the Work Package ID from the Text field (but where multiple resources are allocated against a task, the grouping will not show a task twice under the respective resource group where two resources are used - it tends to show single resources then "combination" resources).

I suspect that the above makes my situation as clear as mud, but it is the best way of describing the situation that I can think of.

As a final resort, I may be forced to copy the data into Excel and manipulate in there!!
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
there are two set of text fields in MSP,one is for task and another is for resource.

same for other fields eg cost duration,date...
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 8 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Good luck.

not my thing (msp Mighty sorry program).

Cheers Bill
Tony McClennon
Apologies - working in MSP2000.
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 8 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
please advise what program you are using, makes a differience

bill guthrie