Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resouce planning

3 replies [Last post]
Joseph Jesudoss
User offline. Last seen 18 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,
I am using MS Project for a small project management set-up. Client is interested in managing only the resource (only manpower), and they are not interested in cost control. Is it possible to assign all resources in one project task over a period of project duration?(without task dependencies) The problem is MS project automatically recalculate the work hrs based on actual entry and the remaining duration is added to the next schedule. Which task type and settings I need to use in the project? They have given two months actual data for a project which has one full year duration. Is the resource units need to be considered?

Replies

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Joseph

Assigning resource in one activity is only fooling yourself and your client. If I am your client I will not accept such plan. As other stated to do a proper resource planning you need to
breakdown you work into a WBS.
Estimate the resource and effort is need in each task,
Link all the dependent task (Do not link it because of resource contraint at this stage)
Schedule the relationship.
Find the critical path
Locate the overallocated resource (if any).
Leveling the resource,
Set up a baseline,
Submit to your client, - up to here is resource planning
After approval monitor/update your schedule - then its control and execution.

HTH good luck
keep planning

Alex
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Joseph,

To get a proper resource distribution in a project you must assign the resources to the detail task because:
1) Different task require different resources.
2) Amount of work involves from one task to another is different.
3) Easy to plan and monitor the resources at site.
4) If you monitor work progress based on resources then it will give you the accurate reading on work progress.

If you assign all the resources to one master task it will distribute the resources evenly from start to finish of the project. You wouldn’t know when you need particular resources to perform a specific job. This will create a conflict between your planned and actual work progress at site.

Regards.