Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Please let me know of problems encountered....

5 replies [Last post]
Fiona Maughan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
I have just started on a job where they are using MSP. The project has approx. 800 activities. I am convinced that logic is being dropped and weird things are happening. Unfortunately it is being passed around and probably opened in different versions of Project. I have campaigned for a change to P3 but it is no go. Has anyone else experienced dropped logic ? Is there anything else I need to look out for.
Many Thanks
Fiona

Replies

Tom Hadley
User offline. Last seen 32 weeks 8 hours ago. Offline
Hi

There are/have been "known problems" with the outlining function in MSproject, with users being unable to re-indent and links being broken and links being inserted automatically.

I had this problem and it resulted in me having to re-enter my whole schedule. Always make a back up before you start making mods such as changing outlines. Always

So beware , the product is not stable unless you have the latest "service pack" bug fix !! SP2 at present I believe !

Many software products are released onto the market without being fully tested, partly because the developers do not understand the basis for calculations. You may not come acroos thes bugs in every day use and often when one does it is not obvious. So beware.

BTW when I asked my local Microsft reps about these issues they told me that the product was never intended to compete with Primaveras of this world.

So this is the basis for their quality control ! Beware
Tony McClennon
User offline. Last seen 25 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Fiona,

If the two areas have effectively "separate" schedules, could you consider splitting your existing schedule into two, then using the Insert Project function to combine them into a master schedule.

In this way, each area could update independently, but a common format for publishing the master schedule may be adopted.

Regards.
Fiona Maughan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Both

Still having problems but switching to P3 this month. Problem was Tony that we are a consortium and both had input to the same schedule.
Thanks again
Fiona
Tony McClennon
User offline. Last seen 25 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Fiona,

Could I suggest that rather than sending copies of the MSP file around, you use the Copy Picture function, and issue a "picture" of the schedule.

I usually save the picture as a jpg format file, then insert into a Word document, where the headers/footers may be replicated to look similar to MSP.

This will avoid any problems with opening the file in different versions of MSP, and will also maintain the config control of the schedule.

Regards.

Zubaer Shariff
User offline. Last seen 2 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Miss Fiona,
Dropped logic and wierd things are usual in small firms and in firms without a system. Such site mangement needs a schedule only to paste it on the wall and proceed with their own unscheduled methods. Probably the top management is not interested in project control through schedule. Try to ’sell’ project management’s advantages to the top managers and if you fail, just jump to a company with proper system. This happens very much in developing countries. I have experienced it my self for the first four years of my career.

I am surprised no one (including myself)answered you for one year. Good luck.

-Zubaer