Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

stop saving projects out

8 replies [Last post]
John Smitt
User offline. Last seen 17 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
I would like to be able to give people read access to the plans but stop them saving a copy of each plan to their home area.

The reason is that when someone saves a plan out, the links are kept and so we end up with 2 plans and so 2 lots of resource need. Do this with 20 people and it causes allsorts.
The users don’t know how to break the links etc.. so I need a policy or simular to just stop them saving it.

Replies

John Smitt
just for info i managed to sort out my problem

The resource pool has permissions set to it now. full control to planners and have removed the everyone group so when someone else other than a planner saves a project it cannot link back to the resource pool and thus wreck everything.
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 8 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
John

only other idea is make sure all projects are in one group.

then export to a DBF flle, filtered by project. then

lock cells that you do not want distrubed, then

copy paste one project to a new sheet and send to the party who is to update, .

after update he sends the dbf file back to you and you then
inport back into p3.

this or p3 postoffice that works great.

cheers bill
John Smitt
Guys thanks again

60 ish projects yes but there aren’t that many changes and none of them that large (Petro/Chem ind)and could be just changing a pipe etc. This role isn’t an in depth planning role so no business need for p3 other than it can do more.

saving as a web page; when doing this it asks for a report, PM’s like to see it as MS proj layout (whole thing), I think PDF format may cause a lot of work as you’d need to save every possible view??
P3 would be a god send sadly no available here Ive tried

Jaco Stadler
Groups: None
Hi John
Another Option (Since it is 60 Project a week)

After you have completed the Update you save your work normal and then you go Save as (And make use of the TEXT / WEB Page etc Reports) Depended on what the PM needs to see. BUT I Would suggest you Get Acrobat Writer. (You dont even need to open up the Project to print you select them all in Explore Create a combined PDF walk away come back after lunch. AND IT IS DONE. No Time Wasted. Normally company’s (Especialy IT Company’s) Have Acrobat Writer to send Design/Layout/etc to client to view.

I would suggest have a look in the company they should have a spare licence on a computer that you should be able to use once a week.

Cheers
Best of Luck
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,
I had this a while back (wsa MSP 200), the normal sales talk, that MSP allowed this over the net, ie each resources was allowed to update his own portion of the project, however, I wasn’t able to apply the theory as I could never get any definitive answers from MS, as their so-called experts who we hired at a ridiculous rate, could not answer the most basic question, Jaco and Bill might have a grasp of this, the expert charged ZAR 650 an hour, and took notes of all the questions and was going to come back with replies, which never happened.

If you have to handle 60 projects, the cost of P3 should not be a problem, and then it is easy, make each resource a sub-project, and set the access rights. You can use suretrack, for the resources to access and update their portions. If you know what you are doing, you can create database files for each resource and these can be updated in excel or Access and then be imported. There is a hundred ways to skin a cat.

Hope this is of assistance.

Regards

Philip
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 8 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
My God, you are reviewing and updating and maintaining 60 projects, on a weekly basis???? Are you working 6 days a week, then you do 10 projects a day??

Unreal, and if they are in the same group, then agree with Jaco, get adobe writer and give them a PDF file.If they are all in the same group, then make one huge file with all 60 and brodcast it. but BY ALL MEANS, KEEP THEIR STICKEY FINGERS OUT OF YOUR SCHEDULE, or all sorts of problems will occur

Good Luck Super Planner.
John Smitt
I guess not a bad idea if you have adobe on your PC but my project managers need to see the plans and there are so many of them it would be too much work. Since there updated weekly i just can’t do it (60+ projects)
Jaco Stadler
Hi John

Why does the resources need to view the Plan. I have a rule nobody access my schedule. I will issue it to them. A simple solution is to PDF the reports. And dont give anybody access. This mean you need to once a day/week/month PDF the report and email/Newtork it.

Cheers