Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Oracle Merger

17 replies [Last post]
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Planners

I sincerely hope that the recently announced link up with Oracle (purveyors of crap software) will not lead to a takeover of PP to be used as a global marketing excercise.

The part of the announcement that I find particularly sinister is

"I see the move of equal benefit to both parties, especially in view of developing an Accreditation Process for Planners and Project Controllers - knowledge of the Primavera platform is an integral part of an Accreditation Process the subject most dear to Planning Planet itself."

This indicates that you will only get accredited by PP if you use Primavera software.

If this is going to be the way forward then please count me out now.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 26 min ago. Offline
Well I hope this means ORACLE is having a different attitude toward the Construction Contractors, their original and loyal clients that feel like in limbo after Primavera abandoned support to P3 and started with an enterprise approach with P6 monstrous software that originally started as P3e and sold as an easy solution. Not even Digger within P6 is comparable to the P3 version. P6 is like going backwards 30 years.

I am talking about the neighborhood contractor, not building any Dubai Tower, nor any Big Dig, nor an Utility Company with hundreds of jobs managed form a central location. We need a standalone application that works in a similar way P3 was but updated to 32bit platform and with new and overdue functionalities in order for us to filter and follow the logic on precedence networks with the added functionality of SS, SF and FF relationships with lags. Maybe Ron Winter Longest Path and relationship slak display functionality should be included among a few others.

Because our jobs are usually constrained by one or two intermediate milestones we have been able to live without Ron Winters application but I wonder what about those jobs with multiple contractual constraints.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
Hi Theo

Thanks for the detailed explaination

It would have been better if this type of post was issued before the Oracle Strap Line appeared in flashing red text.

I for one will wait and see - If the Oracle Board Member has as much input in PP affairs as any of the other members - ie none at all - then that will suit.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Message from PP Admin Team regarding this very interesting topic...

My name is Theo d’Orgee and with my colleague Garry Hall we are trying to grow the capabilities and scope of Planning Planet. We consult our Founder James Williams every day on issues concerning the growth and indeed the benefits of PP membership.

I’ve looked at the forums and I thought an answer to some of the questions and perhaps also expanding on some of the possible issues you the members may have would be in order so here we are:

Oracle merging with Planning Planet?

Our arrangement with Oracle is purely on commercial grounds (PP’s server costs alone are now serveral hundred British Pounds per month!!) and is also the first arrangement of other corporate subscriptions from software vendors, employers in the business and consultancy sectors, suppliers and recruitment consultancies.

Some of these will offer direct recruitment but most are participating in our sector to further their expertise in knowledge of Planning and advertise their abilities to our community – they will open PP to their Planning and Project Control teams: enabling our members to understand better what these companies do or offer, increase our membership and our global spread which has to be better for our community.

Planning Planet is and will remain independent – Garry Hall is managing our Oracle relationship my role is to increase the spread and membership of PP.

Oracle Primavera are holding events which are informative and give members the opportunity to network – we have started in the UK and would like the arrangement to be global reflecting our membership spread. Email addresses will NOT be given to them.

Yes, Oracle wish to sell Primavera but our members do get their say and therefore have an influence on a daily basis if they wish!

Oracle Controlling Forums?

Our forums will only be edited by our volunteer moderators; PP admin wishes for our community to be better informed and continually improve the presence Planning has in project delivery teams worldwide. PP Admin feels that in view of the number of Primavera users, this relationship can only improve the competitiveness of our members in the workplace – which is a function of our site. In terms of accreditation for example, Oracle expertise is only (an optional) part of an overall accreditation process.

Corporate Subscriptions – why?

Planning Planet has up to now supported the community with moderate revenue mainly from recruiters. With subscriptions, organisations become more involved in our community and therefore our ability to influence is improved and our goals as a site namely: increased membership, accreditation and improved benefits for our members, remain our only criteria but are more achievable.

The site has been in operation 10 years and has 31,000+ members – we seek continual improvements in site delivery and features; you all know this is an overhead, PP would not exist now if it was not for the volunteers who make this site possible – people who are proud to be Planning....our community has to continue growing with ever more views being exchanged – our role in admin is to continually provide the environment in which to do so.

The Future?

PP would like some 20 corporate subscribers on the site; a Board of Advisors that represents our global community and a verified accreditation process. We feel that members benefits will increase ever more sharply should this happen and we do not want to upset anyone from our community in these goals: we will remain in control of our own destiny and we ask you the members to help us to help you.

Finally....

PP will not supply member data and has no arrangement to do so. Our personal data is private and will remain so.

Oracle having a BOA member is to our benefit – he becomes part of our BOA team who represent our community....and another valuable viewpoint.

PP receiving investment will reflect in the services we offer you our members – we are always open to ideas from our membership. We can also invest in areas such as accreditation with scholarships, seminars, etc.

Do you know anyone we should approach? Contact PP admin

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING THIS RESPONSE PP TRUSTS THIS WILL ALLAY ALL FEARS AND CONCERNS. IF NOT, PLEASE CONTACT US WE WILL DO OUR VERY BEST TO ANSWER.

In the end, we all wish to be ever more proud of our Planning environment spreading the word is the best way to achieve it we rely on our members support.

Keep on Planning...

PP Admin Team
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Pssssst. Let’s wait until James Williams say his piece.

Let’s not second guess what this is all about until we get clarifications.

IMHO
Rafael Davila
Planning Planet will send invitations on behalf of Oracle for members to attend various Project Portfolio Management related and industry specific seminars and events internationally (excluding currently the US) as well as online. In return, Planning Planet benefits from networking opportunities, a blog presence on the web-site, webinars and increased awareness from a software vendor that supplies approximately 80% of our community.

How do I sign out of unwanted invitations to Primavera Seminars? A software I am no interested except for the old versions no longer supported. Please don’t provide Oracle with my e-mail, otherwise let me know so you sing me out of Planning Planet and erase all the info you have on my record, I would rather visit the site as a guest.

Why excluding the US? A legal loophole in International rules vs. USA rules regarding software security? I am in a US territory is Primavera to pay me for traveling to foreign countries to attend their seminars abroad? Is this a strategy to rule out those members living in the US?

Gary if you refer to PMI accreditation it was never of any real value, nothing is lost. This is not a profession that requires some sort of licensing to protect the public interest. I do not believe you can buy all books on medicine and become a Brain Surgeon by e-mail, you got to go to real and formal training.

A bias toward a specific software certainly devalues any accreditation.

Big fish eats small fish.
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
We definitely need some input from PP admin as to where this is going before we jump to any conclusions, but some points in defence of the announcement which I think are relevant and have yet to be made:

1) I don’t see any suggestion that the other software providers will not be able to make a similar deal with PP. Oracle are just the first.
2) I don’t see any suggestion that Oracle will be granted moderator rights to amend or delete postings that are uncomplimentary to their software
3) There’s currently 7 other PP board members, predominantly from the construction industry. I haven’t noticed any of them pushing a corporate agenda, and don’t see a reason to assume an Oracle member would be any different.
4) James’ many years of (unpaid) service towards the PP community has I think earned him the benefit of the doubt until we know more.

That said, I am also concerned about the statement:
“knowledge of the Primavera platform is an integral part of an Accreditation Process”
IF this means that any planner without the opportunity or inclination to master Primavera would be unable to gain PP accreditation, then this would certainly devalue the accreditation in my view, which would be a real shame as I had high hopes for it.
It may not mean that, of course. –Maybe a Primavera accreditation would be one of many optional modules in PP accreditation, for example.

Bottom line is until or unless I see real evidence of a pro-Oracle bias entering PP, I’ll carry on as normal.

Regards,

Gary
Rafael Davila
Oracle will also provide a member for the Board of Advisors, the group of high profile individuals that police Planning Planet.

It is clear, we will be nailed, Oracle will take over SAP then Planning Planet. It will be slow, without any noise....
Mike Testro
Hi All

I think we should wait until we get some feed back from admin.

It’s a three day weekend in the UK so do not expect any response til Tuesday.

I have put a similar thread in the Moderators forum and it will be interesting to get a response from them.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
What about our complaints about how much of a piece of garbage is Primavera/Oracle P6.

What about the many that call P6 rubbish, piece of shi.., and many other descriptions that always fall short.

What about the discussions about other software?

ARE WE COING TO BE BANNED?

How much is the membership will cost? We all know how Primavera/Oracle makes money out of their service contracts and of every other month upgrades that never end. This is either intended to destroy PP and shut our mouths or another way to get you nailed.

I thought PP was by Planners and for Planners, seems like not anymore.

In order to avoid UK and European Software vendors becoming irrelevant maybe all the other vendors shall create a new site that accommodates all except Primavera/Oracle, in the spirit of providing a true alternative.

By the way I am still using Primavera Suretrak and sometimes P3. My clients are willing to move into MS Project rather than P6 and I agree, better anything than P6.

I hold PP liable if they share my personal information with Oracle.

Best regards,
Rafael

MR. Been avatar
Can anyone get out the red Oracle reference on the heading, if you are to nail us at least use some vaseline so it wont hurt so much. PP is starting to smell like P6.
Hi Scarllet,
you wrote that Primavera is dominating the planning software in the Universe.
Your Universe is restricted and maybe it is true for your country but not for mine.
I don’t estimate what I don’t know in details and can’t argue about Powerproject. I am not sure that you can.
But in any case learning what can be done using other softwares makes project planners better informed and is good for the competition and development.
Some features of Spider Project were added basing on PP forum discussions. I think that other vendors also hear planners voices. This is one of the reasons why independent forum is needed.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

This sound serious. For my opinion a stronger relationship to software vendors only makes sense, if there will be a platform for announcements for ALL vendors - who want to participate.
I won’t like if PP will become an attachment to Oracle/Primavera. Vladimir, Mike and others MUST have the same chances IMHO.
PP must remain an independent forum.

Regards

Dieter
Scarllet Pimpernel
User offline. Last seen 13 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Please calm down,

we don’t have to be emotional about this.

We need to understand and to move on.

There maybe dominance in Primavera, but this has always been the case. Primavera is dominating the planning software in the Universe.

Some propaganda that Powerproject is like this, is only propaganda.

Primavera is simply the best.

But wait...

It may not discriminate the little players in the planning software because, Primavera also needs you. Remember claim digger. A very simple software but a must for P3 addict. Eventually, Primavera bought claim digger.

So the point is to have an open mind.

Thank you,
Scarlett
Hi Raviraj,
Primavera accreditation can be done on Primavera site - there is no need to destroy most popular independent forum to achieve this goal. There is PMI certification for planners/schedulers for those who need it. I don’t see any bright side of this coin for PP members.
I am also very sceptical about Primavera future as Oracle division.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Well there are two sides of the coin always and this side of the coin is bright and shiny of course. This is bound to happen.

But at least for guys who are well aware of primavera, they will get benefit in someway by getting accrediated themselves in some form; as there is no accreditation system in place right now for planners.

I believe, with this ORACLE merger, all members who support for MSP/spider etc. will be omitted from getting accreditated or all those guys who are good in planning (especially claims) but not good in scheduling will move away.

PP admin guys need to clarify further on this ASAP before rumour clouds become thick.
Yes, I can always market Spider, but I think that there is a need for some really independant forum for project planners. I am really upset that PP that proudly announced that this site does not sell anything will not exist anymore.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Scarllet Pimpernel
User offline. Last seen 13 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Well,

At least PP founder made a bold move.

I think it is good bye to Mike.

With regards to Vladimir, I think it will be an asset to remains a member since you can always market Spidey.

thank you,
Scarlett
Hi Mike,
I think that this is the end of PlanningPlanet as an Independant Community.
We shall think about creating some alternative.
Best Regards,
Vladimir