Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Define "Scope"

7 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Could someone give me a good definition for scope, as within the intended scope of the contract.

Thank you in advance

Replies

Dinesh Kumar
User offline. Last seen 6 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I do agree with Anil.

Usually negotiations will be carried out between contractor and client after tender is closed.During this period client may change some modification to the contract scope before the award of contract. Once the contract is signed that is binding on both parties.

If the client would like to change any scope after the contract is signed,that deemed to be the variation of the contract and that may be omission or addition.contractor can claim the expense incurred by him due to any of the changes.If dates has been brought forward by the client,then there will be an accelaration cost as contractor has to mobilize more resources to perform the work to meet the deadline.

I hope the message is clear.

Thanks

Dinesh
Forum Guest
[Repeated posting deleted by Moderator.]
Anil Gupta
User offline. Last seen 16 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Dear guest
Firstly why don’t u login and ask questions.I would hardly take minute.
Anyways what i understand from u is that client had provide some operation constrains which i taking as milestones in the post tender stage. If u had these document before signing of contract then yes any change in oprational constrain will lead to change of works or else no.
Hope i am clear.
Once again scope means everything, like physical work,time , cost,quaity etc.
Forum Guest

Sorry I was not as clear as I as I could have been with my question.

I work for a General Contractor. In the contract of one of our projects, a definition of "change of works is provided as follow:

Change in work: means the deletion, extension, increase decrease or alteration of lines, grades, dimensions, quantities, methods, drawings, changes in the character of the work to be done or materials of the work or part thereof, within the intended scope of the contract.

I understand that scope is the type of work and it also has to do with the area or physical limits of the work, but does scope include the operational constrants of the contract such as the timing that certain tasks can be performed.

I am in a situation where an owner has modified an operational contrant for the timing that work can be performed. He made this modification, post tender.

I guess my question is by modifing the operational constrain, is this change within the scope and therefore a change in the work as defined in the contract or have they modified the scope and does not meet the criteria of a "change in the work"

Thank you for your input
Dinesh Kumar
User offline. Last seen 6 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there,

It could have been better for us to answer, if you had described your question a more clearly.

The intended scope of contract usually described in the contract documents.Some times/most of the times the brief descriptions may not tell you the very details, for that kind of details you have to refer to the drawings, bill of quantities etc.Having gone through all these documents if you are not very sure of some of the items,you can inquire the client/consultants.The above mentined stuff is relavant for the main contractor.

Regards

Dinesh

Anil Gupta
User offline. Last seen 16 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Scope in terms of Conrtact documents has wide range of meaning and has to mentioned the contract document in clear terms.
In general i would say .Every contract has scope denifination means to provide the brief abt project covering all aspects of contract.
Then one should either in appendix of various other clauses should specify delailed scope of work.
Hope this will help you in defining the scope for the project.
Anil
Forum Guest
HI,

THIS A SMALL PARGRAPH FROM MY STUDY IN PROJECT SCOPE MANAGMENT.

Continuous project planning begins with the initiation and scope planning processes of project scope management. But first what does scope mean?

A Project’s scope describes all the work that is required for a project, and it lays a solid foundation plan to see a project through to a successful completion. In general, scope is the sum of the products and services to be provided as a project gets underway

From Project Scope Managment (PMBOK2000-ALIGNED)