Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Need help with Asta "logic"

4 replies [Last post]
Andreas Kardin
User offline. Last seen 6 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I was born and raised with Primavera but recenlty started using Asta as well to broden my knowledgebase. The addaptaion has not been smoth and i struggle with the idea that Asta is somehow superior to P6. But maybe it's just my way of thinking that is at fault?

Here is an example i struggled with all day today. 

Activity 15 is not started. 0% complete. Has both succesors and predeccesors. Yet somehow when i scheduled the project not only did it jump backwards so that it starts before it's predecessors are completed but it also starts (and ends) before the status update line / Datadate? 

How on earth can this be so? 

And in addition activity 4 has been marked as finished and i've set the actual date to be 2017-09-22.. yet when i schedule it jumps to actual start 2017-08-31! Eventhough its predecessors are completed at 2017-09-22.

To me this goes against all logic and reason. So either the program is faulty or there is something that i haven't taken into account. Which is it? 

asta_power_project_lank_problem.jpg

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Andrea There may be a conflict with your calendars - particularly if you have resource modelling in place using their own calendar. Check if your summary bars have any logic attached. This distorts the task logic and should be removed. It is possible that you have a logic flaw in that particular file. Open a new blank project and copy - paste the old programme entirely into the new. Finally Asta Project Support is always available by phone or email. Best regards Mike Testro
Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 32 weeks ago. Offline

Check activity constraints there may be a "Finish on" hard constraint.

Andreas Kardin
User offline. Last seen 6 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello. 

Your suggestion didn't result in any change but when i changed the "status line" in the options below that tick box the activity jumped forward to its more logical position. I find this very curious as the logic should have placed it after its predessecors no matter what date the status line has. 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Andrea

There is an option in reschedule that allows "Link around completed tasks" try that.

Best regards

Mike T.