Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Task numbering in predecessor and successor columns

5 replies [Last post]
Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Vladimir,

In several forums I have met discussions on comparison of the tasks numbering approaches, used by different scheduling tools

In MS Project predecessors and successors are identified by Task ID, which is equal to Row ID.

Disadvantages of such approach:

Activity ID changes, when new Activities are inserted

As a result of the 1st problem, it is also not possible to provide a links table table

Advantage

If one looks at the schedule with “Preceding activities” and “Succeeding activities” columns shown (whether on the screen or printed), then it is easy to locate the preceding activity as one knows the Row ID of this activity. In Spider and in Primavera one would have to search through all activities I suppose to find Activity Code, which a lot of people have complained about.

In Primavera and in Spider (where activities are identified by Code), the disadvantages and advantages are swapped in compare to MS Project.

Question:

Would it not be possible to combine 2 approaches in Spider and add functionality, that for preceding and succeeding activities both Activity ID (constant value) and well as it’s row number (changing value) are shown? The row ID can be shown in brackets. See below example how this could look like. 

I also do not think that this is that difficult to implement

photo Untitled_zps53cc9f9d.png Regards. Evgeny

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 days 12 hours ago. Offline

Vladimir,

Definitively using software functionality to navigate thousand of lines is better but at times we have the need to use printed reports [PDF is the electronic version of a printed report we use very often].

I would say that having access to row number in all views  such as Activity Gantt, Resource Gannt, Material Gantt, Activity Table, Resource Table, Link Tables ... is also a convenience.

Being able to make reference to row numbers for predecessors, successors as well as for delay reason is also very convenient on printed reports. It shall be no issue to learn and understand that line number is relative to a specific report, still very convenient. 

As you said resource lines when displayed will have their own number and at times you want to make reference to a specific line, say to investigate some specific resource assignment as displayed on the view/report.

Still search/find command might be missing find next button, for the moment my workaround is to use Replace with same text to find next.

Best regard,

Rafael

Do I understand correctly that this function is proposed for Gantt Chart reports only as an option when link columns are visible? 

I still think that working with the software it is easier to find all activities by the tools that are already there.

Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Vladimir, Rafael,

I agree, that this is more important for review of the printed schedule, rather than the one in Spider Project format.

I think this is what also was mentioned by the people in the forums: they want to be able for other project team members (non-schedulers) to review the project logic (there it was said in relation to Primavera, which apparently also has the same approach as Spider)

Regards.

Evgeny

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 days 12 hours ago. Offline

Evgeny,

Every time you add activities, change WBS view or apply some new column sorting activity numbering predecessor row number will be continuously changing, same as Code WBS which can be considered as equivalent to activity line number.  For convenience I find line number a better approach to navigate when using paper reports.

When using the software it is easier to use Find [CTRL F] dialog box to jump to the activity but when referring to a specific report that might be on any of the WBS Structures you defined [can be in the hundreds] then line number shall also be visible on the report.  For the moment in order to make the line number visible on printed reports is to use a formula.

I find your request of much value, especially when discussing schedule logic, very frequently at the jobsite we distribute printed reports and discuss the schedule with field supervisors, subcontractors, architect, owner ... 

I suggest when feasible and depending on the audience to use Spider Free Viewer on some meetings as this will make everything visible not just what is on paper.

Vladimir,

Maybe activity row number can be related to Activity Code WBS.

I would be looking for a practical way to navigate on the field using printed paper.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Thank you Evgeny,

I will discuss this feature with our programmers. It does not look easy because requires analysis and numbers are changed each time when activity is inserted. Besides, when you decided to roll up some phases or show assignments row numbers also change. Our row numbers are not identifiers.

Now it is easy to find an activity (and row) by searching in activity code column (by right mouse click on column header).

Another option to find preceeding or succeding activities - filtering for activities linked with current (two mouse clicks!).

It looks even easier than scrolling to required row.

Regards,

Vladimir