Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Dummy resource to model resource sharing among Shifts.

5 replies [Last post]
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 days 17 hours ago. Offline
USE OF A DUMMY RESOURCE TO MODEL RESOURCE SHARING AMONG DIFFERENT SHIFTS

I am exploring the modeling of shifts in Spider Project and found that in order to constraint within a shift the use of a resource available 24 hours a day with the use of a dummy resource I can do that, is this a correct approach or is there any issue I might be missing?

The following is a print screen capture of what I am doing.

Shifts r02

For your convenience you can download the file from the following link. You will need version 10.01.51 of the software full version or demo versions, released 20/04/2010 or a newer version.

http://rapidshare.com/files/378438789/SHIFT.001.sprj

Best regards,
Rafael

Replies

Each team may have its own calendar.
No problems at all.
OK, let’s discuss resource productivities and workloads under separate topic.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Rafael Davila
Vladimir,

As always thanks for your reply, especially about the buttons; I could not figure it out myself. Now everything is clear.

About Skills and Multi-resources, these are concepts relatively easy to understand but the use of productivity and partial assignments or work load and what it means under resource constraining is something quite new to me. This I will like to discuss under separate topic as not to mix too many concepts at the same time. I do not believe these concepts are difficult, just novel to me on CPM software and want to make sure I know the buttons.

Don’t know if you noticed shift no 3 spans two days, hope there is no issue with that and the resource leveling.

Best regards,
Rafael

P.S. No doubt “resource centers” is today’s homework.
About buttons.
I understood that you wrote about update content and apply buttons at multi-resource or skills setting.
When you change your crew (skill) you may want to assign new crew (skill) for future jobs or to change all assignments of the crew (skill).
This is the difference between these buttons.
"Update content" means that all assignments of multi-resource (skill) will be revised (except actual data), "apply" means that only future assignments will use the new set of crew (skill) resources.

Different availability of resources in different shifts means that you shall define resources of first and second shifts as separate resources. For reports you can define Resource center and will get cumulative report. Like one resource Machine 1, another Machine 2, and resource center Machine that includes both Machine 1 and Machine 2.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Rafael Davila
Vladimir,

People work in shifts usually a single shift but at times some might work on two shifts, say a regular week shift and a week-end shift. Is not uncommon for some shifts be rotated among resources.

Equipment is available 24 hours but I want to model actual use and idle time. I want to see both.

You got it right as per my sample job I was not requiring to model the fist statement.

I also created another sample job in my exploration of the feature using 24 hour calendars for all resources and setting their use by means of the dummy activity. The problem with this is that I also wanted to make availability of the resource to be different among shifts.

By the way when using skills I found that if you only press “apply button” and do not press “update content” it will not be implemented, kind of a redundant requirement I had some issues until I saw the “update content” button.

Please remember I have never before modeled shift work in a CPM even when several times I have been involved in jobs requiring several shifts at industrial plants when performing jobs in a hurry at plant shut down.

Best regards,
Rafael
Rafael,
people work in shifts but machines may be available 24 hours and the same machines will work in different shifts.
In each Team (Shift) you shall assign the workers with the same calendars (working together) and machines (with 24 hours calendar). The same machines may be assigned in different shifts.
Did I understand your question correctly?
Best Regards,
Vladimir