Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

U.K. vs U.S.?

20 replies [Last post]
David Andreotti
User offline. Last seen 8 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have been a member of this "planet" for a while now. I figure I must be out-numbered 20-1 in terms of Countries represented. SO many UK’ers out there. Is planning in general just taken more seriously in the UK? All of the job postings (except a very few) are in the UK. Is Building works the least popular planning industry? what there is for job postings in the states are petro-chem, etc.

Appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Replies

David Podmore
User offline. Last seen 12 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Yep, it works fine. Now, I have a little list......
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
You could always get outlook to file emails that contain Orbe straight into the recycle bin?
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
David,

This may not solve your problem 100 %.

Create a dummy e mail and redirect all PP message to that email. You can always open you dummy email at your leisure.

In this way your personal email will not be clog up with notification from PP.

Of course, the relevant email will also be affected since PP really don’t know what is relevant and irrelevant emails to you.

David Andreotti
I have a question - how do I stop receiving emails when an irrelevant post is made to a particular thread?
Glenn Douglas
User offline. Last seen 1 year 52 weeks ago. Offline
CJO

Sorry, my comment on ’yoghurt versus the USA’ is just a joke.
I think it’s quite funny but I still won’t give up the day job.

happy planning.
Charleston-Joseph...
Glenn,

I’m not a native born english speaker,

so

I dont know what you mean.

Why can’t you not be like a Texas ranger,

Shoot it out what you want and what you mean,

IN this way, PP will know what you want and what you want message you want to send across.

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
in fairness, there are good bacteria as well
Glenn Douglas
It might be just that this site was started in the UK.
Admin (pp No.1 is in sheffield)

CJO
Here’s my favourite peice of US history.
What’s the difference between a yoghurt and the USA?
If you leave a yoghurt long enough it develops a culture.

David Podmore
I am very surprised by that. I don’t dispute it but am surprised. NASA used CPA in the sixties very publicly so I had assumed that planning/scheduling was big over there. Shows how you can be wrong!

I’m over to Charlotte in August so I’ll give you a wave!
David Andreotti
David;

Yes, I am near there (relatively speaking) 2 hours maybe.

Maybe it is as simple as this being a site and forum more familiar to those across the water, but it wasn’t difficult for me to find a few years ago. I would think that people who do what we do would seek out any form of reference material available to them. This outlet is one of the best when responders stay on focus with the discussion (CJO)!!

I still believe based on what I’ve seen that, the number of UK members on this site vs US, maybe directly proportional to the number of planners in the UK vs US.
David Podmore
Hi David,

I can’t profess to understand what CJO is on about (except to up his post count maybe) but I have some friends who live in Lenoir NC. Compared to the UK even your states are large so please excuse the question; are you near there?

D
Charleston-Joseph...
UK vs. US,

Since some fo the folks here started bit of history, why not bit of UK vs US history.

Basically, US of A was a former colony of UK. Most of us got experience under a colonial master. So it is not surprising that when we read history, the Americans revolted against UK.

this is only as a start. anyone not busy with bits of knowledge UK vs US, please follow the chain link and thread
David Podmore
Hi Dieter,

I think you’ll find Glenn has a middle initial; E maybe?

Another disparity may be that the UK and other countries refer to what we do as "Planners" or "Planning Engineers" whereas the US generally refer to "Schedulers". It may be just the web searchs don’t turn up PP for the "Good ’ol Boys". ;o)

D
Oliver Melling
No offence taken Glenn.

I sit next to a Yorkshireman who also still bitter about the war of the roses, so i’m used to it!
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
And for a not native speaker the parmanent use of abbreviations is a horror.
GED ?? In my dictionary I found "general equivalency diploma" which may be isn’t what you intended to say.
Regards
Dieter
Glenn Douglas
Ollie,

Although it’s usually easier to understand a Lancastrian when they write it down.

GED
Yorkshire

just kidding...
Oliver Melling
I think the people who started pplanet are from the UK.

Also, as the language of the website is in english, people from every nation will be confident in writing in english, even though they might speak it.
shiv rao
User offline. Last seen 11 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Yes David ,

I do feel like you as you said .

But my thoughts are as follows :

Number wise in Posts as well as Career : UK is having more logins. But what doest it mean . For me it means that more of UK people are having access to this Website. We cant justify that UK are more planned or any thing else.

Definetly US are having many planners , whom i know personally . They dont know about Planning Planet . So are my many Interview takers.

This is just about Popularity and networking among we guys.

Regards

Shiv Rao
David Andreotti
Sorry. This wasn;t meant to be a challenge. Just trying to figure out why planning in general seems to be more of a priority in the UK.
Charleston-Joseph...
David,

Count me in.

I’m for US of America. My mother is American citizen, my sister is American citizen. My education follow the American system. I grew up watching Hollywood movies. I read American book, Rober Ludlum for one, Mills and Boons when I was in my teen.

So this now make 20-2.

I also have a brother who is a member of PP but I would prefer to him to choose who’s side he is in. In addition I have a lot of countrymen who’s preference maybe for US of A, but, we will let them declare.

By the way, what is this thread for? what are we going to achieve?