Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Freelancer

3 replies [Last post]
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
I met this planner who said he was ’freelance’.

He said he was a contractor but didn’t use agents.

Anyone else done much direct contract work? Is it do-able as a career path? What companies will outsource the planning aspect of work directly?

Oliver

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Oliver
it is just through personal contacts.

For the regulations: I just have some information on the German ones. There are some mines that after a certain time you have some rights for perament employment indepent if you came through an agent or not. It can be excluded within the contract.
Dieter
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Dieter,

How do you get into freelance work without agents? is it just through contacts from previous employers?

I heard that companies don’t usually do direct hire as it gives the contractor extra rights, which in-turn makes sacking them more risky?
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Oliver

The company I’m working employs freelancers through agents and direct. I know some other companies who do the same. It depends from needs and opportunities.

Regards
Dieter