Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Getting out on site

26 replies [Last post]
Martyn Coates
User offline. Last seen 5 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
With a few years design behind me I would now like to get out on site where the action is.
I am willing to go anywhere as long as there is a reasonable rotation/renumeration.
Any ideas how I can make the change from design planner to site based? I understand it may be quite a different beast but up for the challenge.

Replies

Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Suppopsed to be buzzing
Martyn Coates
With reference to hardship postings - anyone been to Aktau ?
Gwen Blair
User offline. Last seen 10 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
No matter where you go, one can always plan to find fresh food and bottled beer. Can recommend seal liver and Artic beer
Clive Randall
Gwen I would have thought the analogy of hardship postings and local food would have had you holding your stomach.
Clive Randall
Yes probably Soul
Or maybe sol as in mexican beverage at this time who can be sure.

Hardship postings often flush out the ars**oles quicker than the local food. (Oh I do like that line)

And one for further laughter has to be this years winner of the Golden Orbe entitled "Terminal Float"

A real ripsnorter of a thread, from humble Bordoli beginings it has traversed a veritable pletora of subject matter to arrive at a crescendo of laughter.

However in all seriousness this thtraed goes to show the depth of knowledge available to members of PP
Gwen Blair
Thats another 100 bucks in the post for making me laugh.

I think PP rantings /ravings and you guys wise cracks kept me sane in the dark days of site work in the winter of the Land of the Midnight Sun.

I digress. Some people love site, others avoid it like the plague. Its not for everyone but every planner should have a few hardship sites on their CV. Sakahlin, Artic, Angola, Nigeria. You can be in the worst site with a great bunch and the sense of cameraderie sees you through.
Then again you can be tearing each others throats out.
Clive hope you were looking to touch a few souls and not old soles. Big difference where I come from. Then again - - -
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Would be good if someone compiled a book of classic threads.

Las vegas, dead projects, maybe a few classic charlie rants!
Clive Randall
Gwen if you thought that was good value read conferences in Las Vegas
Oliver Melling
Clive,

To win Gwens heart, may I suggest you start out with a small feasibility study, followed by a kickoff meeting, then who knows what might happen!

Some baselining perhaps?
Clive Randall
At least Im not offering to take her on a US$10 billion project and play Beethoven to her

My heart goes out to Carmen.

As to denial I am too old for all that
Oliver Melling
Clive,

I think it is Gwen’s critical path you hope to do the forward and backward pass on.
Clive Randall
I too am in love with planning planet Gwen but the beer vouchers will come in handy. I have come back with a vengance having been really busy slapping planners about in the hot fetid jungle that is the summer here.

I dream constantly about delving in to the critical paths of my colleagues etc etc etc

However I am also happy with curry and chips and a couple of pints of lager

fresh pine nuts, olive oil, basil and parma cheese emulsified and poured on to goats chese ravioli

sometimes i sit down and listen to classical music like the bay city rollers and the osmonds and dress up like a demented punk and contemplate having a son who sells underwear (now you have to think hard for the connection between vivian and malcolm)

But mostly i just miss the crac. So I post my mindless meanaderings to the great pp family members in the hope that I may touch a sole or two before I shuffle off into the sunset with my dog eared copy of P3 an idiots guide.

Ho hum
Gwen Blair
20 bucks in beer vouchers from me for sheer entertainment value.

PS Cheque is in the post!
Clive Randall
I dont think 19000 members are against me Charlie

I am sure most are not interested, have died, logged on only once blah blah blah

However ASEAN countries are to be found here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_ASEAN

As to countries of the pacific rim are you sure that Fiji qualifies? is it on the Pacific rim? I would appear to be more in the pacific than on the rim, what about Guam is it a nation or a protectorate, all semantics of course.

However here is a definition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Rim

and here is another

http://www.microsoft.com/education/pacific.mspx

This does not seem to include Fiji but refers only to APEC

Interesting

I will leave you to rewrite Wilki and converse with Bill

So will you Western Union the US$20 as my research has answered, I feel, the Question you felt I could not answer!

Clive Randall
His name is Anoon Imos

Anonymous

Init
Oliver Melling
No, the later would be Charlie, Anoon is just his apprentice.
Martyn Coates
LOL

No other names and luckily I’m aware of the members of ASEAN so no need to list them, sorry but no show boating I’m afraid.
who is Anoon - an acronym for a technical construction planning term I’m not aware of or just some di*k h*ad who has been irritating you all on this board? (there’s always a few)
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Clive,

Since you throw the challenge?????

PP will take the challenge to know how good you really are in Geography

Remember you are one against 19,000+++ PP members.

I love geography since childhood. Also one reason why I roam around the world.

Bet 20 USD if you will get it perfect 100% including those small pacific island, for example Fiji, Somoa, etc, etc,

Cheers,

Joseph
Clive Randall
So what are you saying is
1) you are really Charlie
2) You are Anoon

How many other bogus names have you got?

If you are not careful I will name all the countries that belong to ASEAN and also all the countries that border the pacific rim

Ho hum
Martyn Coates
Sorry about the bogus name earlier chaps, I’m never sure with some of these forums. This one seems

In response to Clive, I have asked and I may well be on my way soon however it’s always good to get info or offers from other sources too.
Clive Randall
Martyn
I will not bore you with geography

The company you are now with, I assume, translates designs into projects, and I guess must have some site presence, have you asked about going on site with them?
Charleston-Joseph...
Jon,

GCC stand for Gulf Cooperation Countries. These countries have proximity to the Persian Gulf.

However, not all countries with proximity to the Persian Gulf are member of the GCC (for example Iraq, Iran, etc.)

In the same way that????

Not all Middle East Countries are member of the GCC (for example Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, etc.)

GCC members are the following countries:

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Oman

I hope I this not miss.

This is for your information.

Cheers,

Joseph
Martyn Coates
Will do cheers
Oliver Melling
Jon,

Send PP member Ian Cowx your CV and he should be able to get you an interview, as he is an agent.

If you have planned before and can use MSP, P3 or Primavera Enterprise then you should get a role easily.

The only thing to do is to make sure you barter on the way in, as no companies offer extra money once your in!
Martyn Coates
GCC

Is this the middle east?
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi Jon,

You can start with contracting companies.

If you are young and dynamic, the transition will be easy.

One thing you have to reconcile is the realistic quality of works meaning you may be shock to accept how contracting company balance quality from desing to actual due to financial consideration.

If your prepare to play the game, then, I dont find it will be deficult for you to blend with the real world of site construction activities as compared to well air-conditioned room of project design team.

To go anywhere any place: I think London is a nice place to start since London is busy in preparation for the 2012 Olympics.

The next place to go is GCC.

Cheers,

Joseph