Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Big boss

5 replies [Last post]
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 10 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

To what extent u should follow the big boss (not the PM, much more!) commands in planning while his knowledge in this matter is considered to be "null"?

can u advice me in this !!

Regards.

Replies

Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 9 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Boss is always Boss either Big or Immediate.

You should follow his instructions either he is right or wrong but your responsibility is to give the facts whether he accepts or not...
Tahir Naseem PMP,...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Dear karim
This is normal in practical life. The job is like a game and you need to play very carefully. In this regard my opinion that you always prepare the two documents one as per you BB or LB advice and other which based on your experience, logic and physical situation, suggest only your point of view not suppressed.

At the end if you are true then don’t be worry, remember my quotes.

"If someone not accepts the facts, facts will compel to accept themselves."

regards
Tahir
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Karim

What you need to do is protect your "xxxx" by documents their requirement in accordance to the BB instruction.

Before you do that you do need to express you professionalism by highlighting there may be a alternative view. If your boss is like mine (who ignore any suggestion even he ask you for your opinions), then your best option is to follow as what he said and make sure you have a auditable trail to document what your boss ask you to do. When the xxxx hit the fan, at lease you are cover in certain way (at least your reputation is cover, but may not be your job)

Good Luck

Alex
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 10 years 1 week ago. Offline
Hi James,

I also faced this situation today too (seems to be an international matter though!).

What i can see is that the LB is convinced with me and the numbers but when the matter raises to higher level the LB is taking the BB side !

Seems that it is a kind of a game in which everybody has to play it for his own sake.

Good luck for u too.

Regards.

James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Karim,

Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear. You are in a bit of a fix. :-(

There is no easy answer - and it all depends on who is likely to be fired first, how much you like your job, how much you like your bosses etc. However, it really is unfair that the Big Boss (BB) should personally ask you do anything. Such commands should come via your Little Boss (LB) - assuming that the BB is asking you to do things that both you and the LB do not agree with.

I find that the only correct way to deal with this is to mathematically prove that BB’s requests just do not add-up. The numbers then speak for themselves and you do not have to call anyone stupid. This is because you never know how a "command" will work until you calculate it (if possible). In fact, I had exactly this situation this morning - although I haven’t yet had time to work-out how I’m going to tell him that his "command" is a pile of poo, is unfair to everyone and will not achieve his desired result.

Best of luck.

James.