Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Apprenticeship

6 replies [Last post]
Jerome Odeh
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi All,

I’m a postgraduate student of Software Technology in Aberdeen, Scotland and I’m currently in my final semester. I’m looking for a Project Planning apprenticeship opportunity to enable me improve on my planning knowledge.

Before coming to the UK from Nigeria, I worked as a Programme Planning/Scheduling for 3 years using MS Excel and also have a year’s experience in Project Planning/Scheduling. I’ve an appreciable level of proficiency in using Primavera P3 and have also attended the Primavera P3e Basic Course.

Out of my 1 year project planning experience, I spent 3 months understudying an experienced UK planner but unfortunately he had to leave because of contractual disagreements with the management. I’m very keen in pursuing a career as a Project Planner after my studies and was wondering if anyone on this site can offer me the opportunity to understudy them and gain much needed planning skills as I’ve come to realise that there’s more to planning than Primavera.

Thanks.

Regards,
Jerome

Replies

Jerome Odeh
Thanks to everyone especially Fiona for providing me with good leads, I’ve had lots of calls from agents within the past week but unfortunately almost all of the planning positions were immediate start and full-time.

Most of the agents promised getting back to me when I graduate in a few months time.

Once again thanks to all for your assistance.

Regards,
Jerome
Andy McLean-Reid
User offline. Last seen 18 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Fit like Jerome loon

Hmmm, Aberdeen, Nigeria, the word Shell springs to mind, but I guess you would have thought about that.

I agree with the other poster who said go for it. You can find your way around a programme, software wouldn’t appear to be a problem. Suck it and see. Remember we were all in your position at one time or another, we all had to start somewhere and you seem to have better crudentials than most.

In the UK there is loads of rail work, London in particular as the olympic work kicks in, much of the olympic bid was based around promised infrastructure, rail/underground is panicking and there are a variety of opportunities. A bit closer to home, Edinburgh Light Rail project is due in the next year or so.

I hear things are picking up in Aberdeen though, maybe you should get an agent and start in your own back yard.

Andy
Jerome Odeh
Dear Fiona,

Can you please give me KBR’s contact details.

Thanks very much.

Regards,
Jerome
Fiona Maughan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Jerome,

You could maybe try KBR in Dyce Aberdeen - I know they are very short of planners at the moment and were looking at graduates last I heard.

Good Luck
Fiona
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 6 years 1 day ago. Offline
Jerome,

I got a hang-over, I may not qualify...maybe next time.

cheers
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Jerome,

I think you have the necessary qualification to work.

Why go for apprenticeship?

Why not jump to the labour (full time worker) bandwagon and earn your money.

Cheers,

charlie